Networking Mac & Windows

Hello everyone! Last week I bought a iMac and want to share files between mac and windows. windows sees my mac, but mac doesn't see windows. I went into system preferences then share then checked the box called file sharing, then option and checked file and folders using SMB. Can someone help me get my mac to see windows share files.

Thanks Sceeter32 :thumbsup:

Edited by sceeter32
Could be that the windows machine is not being shared. Maybe a windows firewall issue?

Hello isteve thanks for your reply. I've checked my firewall settings seem to be set to allow file sharing. I'm really not good at firewalls lol

Sceeter32

Well your mac is seeing your dads pc but your dads pc is not sharing anything. He would need to setup a share folder or volume. Then you could log into the share.

Can you access files on the mac from your pc?

Oh do you like how the mac shows pc on the network as a monitor with a blue screen of death.

Hello isteve thank i'll make a share file on my fathers pc and see if that works. I can't access files from mac to my pc yet . I think thats hilarious how mac show pc in your network with bsod icons, so funny! Now if only I can access my pc that would be great.

Thanks again

Edited by sceeter32
  • 2 weeks later...
Try going to Wimi.com, and it'll instantly tell you your IP, write that down.

Then download Remote Desktop for Mac, enter the IP address of your PC, and connect.

Btw, your computer obviously needs to be turned on (not on stand by or sleep).

Thanks detective sims. My other computers are on and not asleep sometimes my mac sees my pc but most of the time it doesn't. Only my pc see the mac and can trasfer data pc to mac but hardly never from mac to pc. The funny thing is my mac alway see my fathers computer, but never lets me access it. Is there a setting in windows or mac that I'm forgetting? I set allow file sharing on pc & mac and gave all pc's a workgroup name. All my pc's are connected through my network and read and write on all of them sept for my mac. I tried tutorials on the net but seems to be differnet setting than OSX 10.5.6.

Thanks for your reply

Sceeter