Culture Of Corruption? Or Business As Usual?

Regarding the Governor of Illinois and the allegations he demanded something in return for nominating a replacement for Obama:

Do you think this particular Governor may have been uniquely corrupt?

Or do you think this type of thing probably happens ALL the time, he just got caught?

Regarding more recent allegations that he altered records to justify appointing cronies to State positions:

Again, might he be uniquely corrupt?

Or do you think this happens all the time and he just got caught?

If he "just got caught," why is the F.B.I. concentrating on Illinois Governors? (Several have been indicted over several decades.)

That is difficult to say without more information, it sure does seem that there have been a lot of corruption scandals as of late though.

I'm very curious to see if the FBI has information to prove that the Governor did something criminally wrong. I'm not defending his actions in any way. Given the information that has been released it appears that he has does something wrong.

No, Illinois has had other governors.

Or do you think this type of thing probably happens ALL the time, he just got caught?

It happens all the time. Other politicians aren't 'caught' because no one cares.

If he "just got caught," why is the F.B.I. concentrating on Illinois Governors? (Several have been indicted over several decades.)

Rhetorical question?

• 2 weeks later...
I think that the FBI is unfairly picking on Chicago, Detroit, New York and Baltimore.

I'm not sure I'd say it's "unfair," but yeah, they probably concentrate on the big fish, for good reasons. Who would care if they caught some small city mayor nobody's heard of whose corruption affects relatively few people? But, catch Blagojevich and, not only do you get press, you are stopping a LOT of corruption (and possibly stopping that small town mayor from going there).

The mayor of Portland apologized Tuesday for lying about a sexual relationship with a male teenager he was mentoring three years ago, but asked the city to consider it an anomaly in two decades of public service.

"I screwed up. I blew it. There's no way to sugarcoat it," Mayor Sam Adams said during a City Hall news conference scheduled after he cut short a trip to the presidential inauguration in Washington, D.C.

They're everywhere!

The mayor of Portland apologized Tuesday for lying about a sexual relationship with a male teenager he was mentoring three years ago, but asked the city to consider it an anomaly in two decades of public service.

Three years ago? Uh, no, hang 'em.

If it was thirty years ago, well, it's still very bad, but let's move on.

But three? While he was in office?

Of course we have to admit to ourselves that we elect "people," not saints.