For me the one drawback in Linux is that sometimes the hardware you have won't work with Linux. I've finally given the heave to my old Lexmark 2050 inkjet printer.

I recently bought an Epson Stylus C86 it works well in Linux although I had to use the Epson C84 driver.

What printer do you use in Linux? Maybe we can build a list of Linux friendly printers for Linux users.

hey hitest,

I use a bottom of the line HP 3820, no difference in print quality from linux to windows...was kinda suprised it worked at all but was auto-detected and worked fine the first time I plugged it in....I'm easily amazed when things go right!!!! :D

Heh-heh, well said, tictoc5150 :D

My C86 Epson isn't that expensive either. I took a chance when I bought the printer because it wasn't listed as being Linux compliant on the box. Also, the Epson website said it wasn't supported by Linux. But, auto-detection found the printer and "suggested" I use the C84 driver. I was also pleasantly surprised it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

HP LaserJet 1012... Sorta recommend it... Works well when it works but it acts funky sometimes, even when printing from my Win2k machine.

I used to have an HP LaserJet 1300, which I HIGHLY recommend, but I had to give it back.

-uberpenguin

HP LaserJet 1012... Sorta recommend it... Works well when it works but it acts funky sometimes, even when printing from my Win2k machine.

I used to have an HP LaserJet 1300, which I HIGHLY recommend, but I had to give it back.

-uberpenguin

Thanks, uberpenguin. We can add HP to the list of Linux friendly printers used by Besttechie forum members. :D Good to see you here, man!

uberpenguin is a long time Linux expert from the old days at the tech tv forums before the change over.

• 3 weeks later...

have ghad no problems with any HP printers using the hpoj drivers.. my only problems are ignoring etc-update in gentoo and hitting -3 to let it update.. that will kill an OS fast..