Formatting Problems When Installing Knoppix

Well, i'm trying to install knoppix onto my computer to learn about the linux/unix world. However, I am using a Compaq computer, and the harddrive is completely formated into one partition. Since i need 1+ partitions to install knoppix, i thought i could resize the partition easily, partition the unpartition space, and continue with the installation. However, for some reason, the resizing of the current partition isn't working. I am using QTparted as the partition manager, and when i try to resize the partition from 10GB down to something around 2-3GB, it doesn't go any further. It only reduces its size by a couple of kilobytes (near the top it says minimun size 9.XX, and only half a GB is being used up by the current OS, WinXP). Is there a solution to this, or the current partition is not resizable?

I don't really have any other options, and i can't delete XP from this computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, you have XP on your computer and are trying to install Knoppix as a duel-boot? It seems like the problem is that, as XP was installed on the one and only partition previously, it spread itself out in that territory and doesn't want to give it up. You may end up having to back-up your XP data, format/partition your drive, install Knoppix, and restore your XP data.

Unless there is some other problem I am missing or some easier solution, of course.

on knoppix is a program called qtparted.. it will let you resize you r windoer partition..

steps..

boot winders...

remove swap file (diffrent ways for each version of winders....... but normally disable virtual memory..)

defrag winders (even if it says there is no need)

boot knoppix..

at the command prompt type

xhost +

sudo su

qtparted...

see http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

for more info on qtparted.....

p0s qtparted can do almost anything partition magic can do... plus its free

on knoppix is a program called qtparted.. it will let you resize you r windoer partition..

steps..

boot winders...

remove swap file (diffrent ways for each version of winders....... but normally disable virtual memory..)

defrag winders (even if it says there is no need)

boot knoppix..

at the command prompt type

xhost +

sudo su

qtparted...

see http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

for more info on qtparted.....

p0s qtparted can do almost anything partition magic can do... plus its free

well, i did it, but when i opened up QTparted, my partition came out to be using 7GB out of the 10. I don't know what happened, but definately my windows files are less than 3GB. With only around 3 GB left, i don't really have enough room to make two partitions, so i can't install linux. Why did this happen?

also, when i tried to revert back to the old way i had it (one huge windows partition) i couldn't do it. The option wasn't available to delete the one partition i had made, a partition in ext3. Now, my Windows partition is almost taken up, and my other partition cannot be used by windows. And my unallocated space is un-partitionable (at the moment).

What went wrong, and more importantly, how do i fix it?

under the windows go to managments (right click my computer) and disk managment.. see if you can span the disk.. as for 10 gigs as 7 it soudns liek you gave windows 3 gig and had 7 left over as free? correct.. that makes 10 gig..I do not see what went wrong.. unless you did not change the size when you told it to resize the windows partition.. I think 3 gig is default.. Sorry .. I did not think about warrning you to read the menu..

under the windows go to managments (right click my computer) and disk managment.. see if you can span the disk.. as for 10 gigs as 7 it soudns liek you gave windows 3 gig and had 7 left over as free? correct.. that makes 10 gig..I do not see what went wrong.. unless you did not change the size when you told it to resize the windows partition.. I think 3 gig is default.. Sorry .. I did not think about warrning you to read the menu..

I did exactly what you said, but windows wouldn't let me resize it down to less than 7GB. I don't think anything went wrong during the procedure. Is there any info i can give you to help you figure the problem out?

if your windows partition is almost full then it is using almost 7 gigs of space.. so no you can not make it smaller.. but you want to expand windows back to the rest of the drive.. right?? qtparted may also do that .. go back and make teh space after change the same as the whole disk.. sorry but winders can be a least 4 gigs with no extra software.. add anlmost any software like office or games and you are past 7 gigs.. It sounds like you need a new harddrive.. get a bigger one.. or use slackware or gentoo to get a smaller than 3 gig install.

if your windows partition is almost full then it is using almost 7 gigs of space.. so no you can not make it smaller.. but you want to expand windows back to the rest of the drive.. right?? qtparted may also do that .. go back and make teh space after change the same as the whole disk.. sorry but winders can be a least 4 gigs with no extra software.. add anlmost any software like office or games and you are past 7 gigs.. It sounds like you need a new harddrive.. get a bigger one.. or use slackware or gentoo to get a smaller than 3 gig install.

Well, this computer virtually nothing ontop of windows, only a few IM clients and a few other small programs. Because, before i stopped virtual memory and defragged the HD, windows partition showed up only as 3GB. But, after i followed through with your instructions it went up to 7GB. Perhaps i do need Gentoo or Slackware, but i'd rather keep that as a last resort. Any ideas?

???? nothing in my instructions would have made your windows grow.. are you sure you were not reading FREE space of 3 gigs (like the partition you have now). since that is the main number windows gives??

your coudl alwyas back up yoru important windows stuff. whipe everything.. create new partitions and reinstall installing winders first.