Which Do You Think Is The Best For Me?

I can say I like in the latest patch the way wall papers are split across both screens. So it looks like one big picture insted of the same picture twice..

I have dual 24" monitors at work, , and I run my Work Windows partition in a VM,

Ya'll mentioned Xubuntu and got me curious. Looked it up and now I'm interested in it. I may have to grab another spare drive and install that and see how I like it.

Xubuntu is Ubuntu, but, it has the XFce desktop environment installed instead of Gnome (which is the default in Ubuntu). XFce is lighter and faster than Gnome, but, it takes some getting used to. I've used XFce for a long time; it is an exceptional environment. Right now I'm running KDE and liking it:)

This is NTFS issue... Ubuntu was trying to protect your data encase you try to use it in windows again.

Ubuntu Does irritate me to no end, but it syncs better with my Windows Mobile 6.1 phone that Vista does..

Urge to kill... rising. I can't remember exactly when it was that I realized that I hated everything about Ubuntu that wasn't Debian. The earth tones, the wallpapers, the name, the code names -- my God, the code names.

Edit: And I had the same problem with the NTFS partitions on my external HDD. I don't with Fedora.

Did the beta of windows 7 come with hyper-V? That is the only interesting part for me in the new windows.

I'll have to look into that. I'm running Windows 7 under KVM; I wonder if Hyper-V supports recursive virtualization....

Edit: No mention of Hyper-V anywhere I looked.

According to My Microsofty neighbor hyper-v be a part of the Ultimate version (pro and Ultimate if they follow the vista route)

shame.. that was the best part.. back to server 2008.. at least its in the enterprise version there. its one time a MSDN works out.. when all the new stuff is released.

I think what I ought to do is install Xubuntu on my old Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB RAM, GeForce 7600GT System, and trash the Windows 7 install on my main Athlon X2 6000+, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT System and install Unbuntu. Windows 7 is pretty well worthless to me right now so Ubuntu can take it's place. It seems Ubuntu x64 doesn't run all that smooth on the older system. It runs alright just not as smooth as XP does. Of course Ubuntu would run infinitely better on the newer rig I would expect since it's faster plus, I have SATA300 drives in it instead of ATA100 Drives (the older system supports SATA300 but my 2 SATA300 Drives are in the main rig).

I think what I ought to do is install Xubuntu on my old Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB RAM, GeForce 7600GT System, and trash the Windows 7 install on my main Athlon X2 6000+, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT System and install Unbuntu. Windows 7 is pretty well worthless to me right now so Ubuntu can take it's place. It seems Ubuntu x64 doesn't run all that smooth on the older system. It runs alright just not as smooth as XP does. Of course Ubuntu would run infinitely better on the newer rig I would expect since it's faster plus, I have SATA300 drives in it instead of ATA100 Drives (the older system supports SATA300 but my 2 SATA300 Drives are in the main rig).

I'm very happy to hear that you are taking a closer look at Linux:-) I've been Windows free for several years and am happy with my choice. Linux beats the hell out of Windows for speed, security, and stability. :)

but sucks for gaming and anime watching :P

I'm just trashing Windows 7. It serves no viable purpose. My Vista x64 install (which I LOVE) is sticking around. Honestly, I love vista a lot. It's been absolutely wonderful for me. It's in-freakin-credibly fast on my main rig (while XP was embarrassingly slow) and still relatively swift on my laptop in x86 form as well as rock solid stable. Linux for me right now is just a toy to mess with and learn on. That and it looks like the GIMP doesn't quite like Vista x64 (It works but seems some of the tools are missing/inaccessible) so maybe I'll do some image editing in Linux until I buy my own copy of Photoshop CS4 x64.

but sucks for gaming and anime watching :P

IME it's comparable to Windows w/CCCP for anime. You have to install extra codec packages and it can be a pain to configure the media players* but otherwise it's quite nice.

* The list of options in the mplayer manpage runs nearly eight thousand lines.

And that's why I prefer Windows for entertainment. MUCH simpler. Just install CCCP, Open Zoom Player, set a few little preferences (in my case, I like to have the previous and next chapter buttons on my control bar and I like for the player to stop at the end of a video), in Vista, set it to the Haali Media Renderer, sit back, relax and enjoy Clannad, Soul Eater, Toradora!, Kannagi or what have you. Speaking of Toradora! and Clannad, My Vista x64, Ubuntu x64 and Windows 7 x64 installs on my desktops all have Toradora! wallpapers and I just finished watching 3 eps of Clannad After Story as well as having a Clannad wallpaper on the Vista x86 Laptop.

And that's why I prefer Windows for entertainment. MUCH simpler.

I should have mentioned that the mplayer defaults are usually good enough. AFAICR the only thing that I've needed to tweak is subtitle scaling. (There's a tab in the preferences window for sub options but I don't use the graphical interface so I'm stuck hiring sherpas for an expedition through the manpage after the spring thaw.)

The only thing I've ever HAD to do was after the most recent release of CCCP, I had to change the render to the Haali Media Render in Vista. XP the default render is fine.

Well, I've never had to do anything with mplayer ;-)

You know what's fun about this discussion? We're very close to debating the relative merits of the same software. AFAICT nearly every non-proprietary component of CCCP that didn't come from Gabest came from Linux. In particular, it looks like all but a handful of the codecs originated on Linux. The rest presumably are available for mplayer through one of the Win32 codec packages.

OK, now I've been playing around with virtual machines. I've got an XP Virtual Machine going in it but there's a problem. It doesn't see any USB ports. Is there a way to make VirtualBox OSE see USB ports? (trying to get it to see a flash drive)

OK, now I've been playing around with virtual machines. I've got an XP Virtual Machine going in it but there's a problem. It doesn't see any USB ports. Is there a way to make VirtualBox OSE see USB ports? (trying to get it to see a flash drive)

You probably have the Open Source version of VirtualBox (Virtual Box OSE). It has issues with USB. The closed source version works with USB for me every time.

Look here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads