Hey great new topic starter Matt and BT staff.

I am waiting to see if he can make good most of his promises.

I am not a Dem or Rep, just vote for who can do the best for my country.

Guess time will tell if he can deliver.

Chuck

Hey great new topic starter Matt and BT staff.

I am waiting to see if he can make good most of his promises.

I am not a Dem or Rep, just vote for who can do the best for my country.

Guess time will tell if he can deliver.

Chuck

Hi Chuck:-) Yeah, we're excited by this new addition to Besttechie.net! :matrix: I'm not an American; my politics are definitely left of center. I can safely be classified as a Liberal.

I think that Obama certainly has his work cut out for him. Agreed. It will be interesting to see what he is able to do during his first 100 days. :)

hitest

surely he couldnt be any worse than

the ones that got voted out

of power

tho ime interested to see how he handles the middle east thing

in his election campagn

he said

we will

i quote support israel ALL THE WAY

i feel he made an error there

as it was an incentive for the jews to go all out

which they have

he should have said we will wait and see

marty

Hi Everyone:

Thanks to the Admin and Mod Teams for creating this space to discuss these matters :D

I voted for Barack Obama myself, and I want to see him make some changes to the "system." Far too often its the fat cats on wall street, the investment mongers and those that make millions that seem to "benefit from" any stimulus package. I have been on the "system" since I was 18, and I can tell you that it was time for the system to kick up some money to help people that need it.

What I wanna see is President Obama send my "Stimulus Plan Money" straight into my benefits amount, rather then to send it through the IRS, which would result in me not getting any stimulus, because I owe some money, and the creditor would take it. The Economy is so bad that I am worried that if I tried to get a job, I would not be hired, and it takes so much money now adays to live, that this situation is the worst I've seen. It is high time that the Democrats and Republicans and Independants work TOGETHER to bring us OUT of this, rather then to haggle over the people on wall street. We have a Housing Crisis, a Medical Insurance Crisis, and people are NOT insured, and we need help to get out of it. It is high time that some laws were changed to allow for people to be able to afford to live their lives in a good way, so that we all can be healthier and happier citizens.

President-Elect Obama and Vice President-Elect Joe Biden have the power to effect the change that they were talking about in about 10 days to make the changes. I don't expect Obama and Biden to make them overnight, but I would hope that Congress and the President can make changes that will make things better in the long run. I am afraid that without SWIFT action, we may be looking at another Great Depression like problem.

Brian

What I see in your post, I see wrong with America...

"the system to kick up some money", "I wanna ", "my benefits", "if I tried", and last, "to allow for people to be able to afford ". So who's stopping them?

I, me, mine... Let the g'ment do it for me.

What I see in your post, I see wrong with America...

"the system to kick up some money", "I wanna ", "my benefits", "if I tried", and last, "to allow for people to be able to afford ". So who's stopping them?

I, me, mine... Let the g'ment do it for me.

That is sort of the whole idea of government: it takes people's money and uses it to provide services to the public. There's not much point having a government if everyone who wants to use those services is going to be bludgeoned with the personal responsibility bat.

There's a huge difference between services to the public meaning national security, roads, and highways, and handing money to people. Tax money... at one point in time... was ment to benefit the public as a whole. Not one group/person.

The Economy is so bad that I am worried that if I tried to get a job, I would not be hired,

Do you not see the humor in this statement?

We have a Housing Crisis, a Medical Insurance Crisis, and people are NOT insured,

There is no "medical insurance crisis". Of course people are not insured. How is this a crisis? How is this something that the government should intervene in?

It is high time that some laws were changed to allow for people to be able to afford to live their lives in a good way, so that we all can be healthier and happier citizens.

Yeah. Sounds nice and cozy. What "laws" would you change? How is it people can't afford to live their life in a "good" way?

Bozo is right. I, me, mine. Give me a break. America as a whole NEEDS to get bludgeoned with the personality responsible bat.

There's a huge difference between services to the public meaning national security, roads, and highways, and handing money to people. Tax money... at one point in time... was ment to benefit the public as a whole. Not one group/person.

I am aware of no government services that benefit that public as a whole. I am not entirely sure that such a thing could exist.

Do you not see the humor in this statement?

I don't know enough about their situation.

There is no "medical insurance crisis". Of course people are not insured. How is this a crisis? How is this something that the government should intervene in?

The government has intervened. The 'medical insurance crisis' is partly the fault of the government. It's not unreasonable to expect the government to address a situation that it helped created. Responsibility and all that.

Bozo is right. I, me, mine. Give me a break. America as a whole NEEDS to get bludgeoned with the personality responsible bat.

That statement was more sarcastic that it might have appeared. AFAICT, as the word is commonly used, a person is 'responsible' when they do what we want them to do. That's it. Actual moral responsibility, social obligations, and whatnot are irrelevant. People who expect the government to help them are 'irresponsible' simply because we don't want the government to help them.

[Edit: Off-topic semi-ironic microrant: the font styles here suck on Linux. The text in the forms is like eight points, aliased, and randomly kerned. There was a massive typo in my last post because I could barely read what I was writing.]

It is a crisis for uninsured people who become gravely ill as the prohibitive costs of an extended hospital stay or procedures can lead to bankruptcy in the USA. You lose your house, savings, everything.

If you're healthy it is all good.

In Canada our health care system is far from perfect, our wait times for procedures are getting longer as our current conservative government cuts back on funding the health care system. But, the difference is that I can afford to pay for my health care costs if I get sick.

Obama is in the right track in my opinion.

It is a crisis for uninsured people who become gravely ill as the prohibitive costs of an extended hospital stay or procedures can lead to bankruptcy in the USA. You lose your house, savings, everything.

The crisis is arguably caused by insurance. Insurance effectively increases the wealth of the insured, the market does its thing, and the result is that only the (effectively) wealth can afford health care.

But, the difference is that I can afford to pay for my health care costs if I get sick.

There are lots of small clinics in the US that provide very good and affordable service. However, they're funded by the government and target the poor, so it's socially unacceptable for Americans to talk about them. (Case in point: I ignored them in my first paragraph ;))

The crisis is arguably caused by insurance. Insurance effectively increases the wealth of the insured, the market does it's thing, and the result is that only the (effectively) wealth can afford health care.

Agreed. I find it tragic that only the well-healed can afford health care. To me a sign of a civilized society is affordable health care and education for all people. Unfortunately with our conservative government we are moving in the wrong direction north of your border (our government would love to privatize health care, education).

• 1 month later...
... President Pelosi ...

How did I miss this post? :lol:

Guess I could comment too: She would find out, as every President has (including Obama; Where's that "openess" he promised? Where's the "immediate withdrawal" he promised? Where're the "middle class tax cuts" he promised?), that the true responsiblities of the office preclude enacting EVERY aspect of their agenda (THANK YOU Founding Fathers).

Edited by JDoors