Alternative To Windows Moviemaker

Just about all movie editing software will need room to work. Movie files are huge and expand quickly when editing. They also need more room when rendered. Your best bet is to get another drive and use that for movie projects.

Basically when you work on a file there will be two copies no matter what you use, the orignal and a shadow or temporary working copy which you are changing. Only when you save the finished version is the original replaced and not always if you are not careful.

So to do movie editing you need a lot of free space. Generally we recommend four times the size of the file you will be working on for free space.

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwvideoedit.html

has some freeware options

I think virtual dub is the most popular

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/virtualdub.html

And it is fairly small in itself

But try them all and see which works for you.

My rule of thumb is to have at least four times the space of the file you will be working on as free space.

This way there is space for a working copy, a copy in an intermediate format , and a copy in the final format and still have spare for overhead.

tnx, pete!

good rule of thumb..i have just realized that last night.

i needed to convert the file into a different format and save it into a less of a quality just to have a smaller file size and be able to get through things smoothly.

i really need to have another hard drive.

thanks!