Ummmm, as usual, I don't know where I should put this question so if it should be in the malware section, feel free to move it

I got bit by that Phony Antivirus Cootie (2008? 2009? too busy fixing it to remember). I tell ya, Daughter is a Cootie Magnet, she used my idiotbox for an hour and swears she didn't click on any links.

Thanks to Malwarebytes, it is gone and the idiotbox is running stellar again. Buttttt, when Malwarebytes was doing its thing, it generated a log of the cooties found on notepad. Yeah, I didn't think to see if the log had a name and when I asked Son how to find Notepad (yes, I don't know how!) he said I shoulda written the name of the log down. I didn't. I figured that was the only thing ON notepad since I never use it, ha! (darned kids....)

So, because I'm anal :) , I want to see that log. How can I find it? Or is it living in the Malwarebytes program somewhere, and where/how? Don't forget, Kindertech translations please :)

Thanks a bunch,

Liz

Ohhhhh, that's easy! Thanks, Falcon! Off to google the cooties :)

Edit! Opened the log and there was a bunch of techo gobbly-goop but clicked the "quarantine link" and there was this precise little list of cooties, that is exactly what I was looking for so thanks again, Falcon for leading me to it

Liz

Edited by blim
you realise your not exclusive to getting these things

Liz did not suggest or claim to be the only one getting infected, marty. She asked a well-written technical question and received an equally well-written answer from Falcon. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

yes i was sharing your pain

ive been there done that

ime glad youve fixed it

i havent tried that scanner you use

i hope ive advanced enough now to avoid those pitfalls

tho in this game any thing can happen

maybe hitest got out of the wrong side of the bed

i wouldnt critersize liz

i was sypathising with her

perhaps the job has gone to his head

marty

yes i was sharing your pain

ive been there done that

ime glad youve fixed it

i havent tried that scanner you use

i hope ive advanced enough now to avoid those pitfalls

tho in this game any thing can happen

maybe hitest got out of the wrong side of the bed

i wouldnt critersize liz

i was sypathising with her

perhaps the job has gone to his head

marty

Good to hear you're sympathizing with Liz, marty! :thumbsup:

Heh,no I did not get out of the wrong side of the bed, marty. But, it seems that I mis-read your post as being critical of Liz. On the Internet it is often difficult to determine the intent of a post.

My apologies, marty! :)

From what I have seen most of these are now using "zero day" exploits in outdated software such as java, flash player, winzip, acrobat reader etc. They take advantage of these to silently install the nasty without the antivirus software being any the wiser.

So go to secunia and run the software inspector to find out what software you have which has security holes currently being exploited by malware.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Then follow their advice; uninstall any of the older unpatched versions, install the new upgraded version and then scan again to make sure you removed all the vulnerabilities (often a plugin or file or folder from the old version will remain and have to be deleted)

We gotta remember that Hitest has a little one and a teenager--this close after Christmas AND with the kids being on School Break, I bet his brain is turning to mush ;) (and sending my sympathies to you! With both my kids working during break, I actually MISS them, they're never home!)

Pete, as far as getting infected, I never even gave updating that stuff a thought! Thank you! I must admit that I've never updated that stuff. I never use FlashPlayer, Adobe or WinZip so never *thought* I needed to keep up on that stuff. And Java....nope, not that, either :blush: and I'm thinkin' Java is part of "the internets", isn't it?? :blush:

Son is on Break till Jan5, I'll make HIM tinker if he has time since he actually......likes it. :blink: I'm betting everything that site checks is gonna need updating!

Liz

We gotta remember that Hitest has a little one and a teenager--this close after Christmas AND with the kids being on School Break, I bet his brain is turning to mush ;) (and sending my sympathies to you! With both my kids working during break, I actually MISS them, they're never home!)

Thank you, Liz! Yes, as you know having a teenager is a challenge:-)

I do make mistakes sometimes, which I do regret:-) Happy New year! All the best to you and your adult children:-)

sorry for the out burst hitest

haven had a good 3-4 months

health wise

and at the moment ime having problems

i know you mean well

liz is one of my favourites

on this board

[tho you all are]

and wouldnt i do any thing to

send her in the wrong direction

my appoligys for not puting the words in the right context

tho i took it for granted

again my appoligys

marty

sorry for the out burst hitest

haven had a good 3-4 months

health wise

and at the moment ime having problems

i know you mean well

liz is one of my favourites

on this board

[tho you all are]

and wouldnt i do any thing to

send her in the wrong direction

my appoligys for not puting the words in the right context

tho i took it for granted

again my appoligys

marty

No need to apologize, marty! I've had the pleasure of knowing you for quite a few years now. I know you're a good guy. Thank you for the nice words. I should have understood what you meant. No worries, man:-)

Yes. I've been reading about your health problems lately and my thoughts are with you! Hang in there and please get well soon. Happy New Year! :)

Pete, as far as getting infected, I never even gave updating that stuff a thought! Thank you! I must admit that I've never updated that stuff. I never use FlashPlayer, Adobe or WinZip so never *thought* I needed to keep up on that stuff. And Java....nope, not that, either :blush: and I'm thinkin' Java is part of "the internets", isn't it?? :blush:

Son is on Break till Jan5, I'll make HIM tinker if he has time since he actually......likes it. :blink: I'm betting everything that site checks is gonna need updating!

Liz

Yep, even if you do not think you have those installed you probably do and even if you do not use them it is easy for some malicious website to put in a call for flash player 6 or jave 1.5 and if you still have it installed it loads but if there is no content to display you see nothing but they can exploit it and install what they will.

This was not so common a year ago even; but recently with microsoft pushing automatic updates and more and more people heeding the advice to use an antivirus and get behind a router or firewall the malware guys have been seeking alternate paths.

I think the first cases I became aware of was when that nasty you mention began using an exploit to change the X and Close buttons on the dialog box it popped up to the function of "disable antivirus and install silently with no user interaction" (well that is a verbose explanation but basically explains it, they just executed a script to change some registry settings for dialog boxes).

So now it is vital that you keep everything up to date.