System Restore - Not Working

Hi,

My system restore is disabled. Probably because of a previous virus attack. I did apply some solutions found on the web including merging a registry key from Kelly's Korner and starting sytem restore in safe mode. But no use. Now the system restore tab is missing from My Computer's Properties box.

Can somebody help me please?

I tried an in-place upgrade too. But the XP with SP3 slipstreamed CD I have gives an error message. It can only do a clean install.

Thanks,

Go to control panel => system => system restore

Click stop using system restore on all drives.

Restart computer and then go back and enable it.

Now go to start / programs / accessories / system tools / system restore and try to create a restore point.

With your slipstream cd ready go to start / run and type

sfc /scanonce

(note space after sfc and before /)

hit enter

Now restart computer and it will scan for missing or altered windows files and replace them with backup copies. If necessary it will ask for the install cd and you can put in your slipstreamed one and it will find the files it needs there.

What viruses did you have and where did you receive help removing them and fixing the damage? Can you link to your thread so we can see what we are up against?