I'll start it out with the best defragmenter.

In my opinion the best defragmenter that is free is IOrbit's Smart Defrag.

Has a wide variety of excellent options

A. Power Down after defragment

B. Auto Defragment

C. Optimizes files (Moves most commonly used to the front)

It's also razor fast and can get the job done way faster than even auslogistic defrag.

Spywareblaster. Thanks to the good folks here for introducing me to it. Its like a Firewall for Spyware, keeps cooties from ever getting into your computer so you don't HAVE to clean them out!

Got a link for that gadget, Scissor? (Look for the green plus sign in the reply box, click it, you're techy, you'll figure it out :))

Liz

Edited by blim
They aren't actively on and scanning however I'm sure SpywareBlaster consumes a decent amount of CPU usage and pages a good bit of Ram.

Actually, it doesn't - it's very light on resources and highly recommended throughout the anti-malware community.

B

I agree with the MalwareByte. It's excellent software and I have it in addition to the ones I listed. I suppose I degrade SpywareBlaster because it doesn't fit my style.

I'm a Defend after attack type of guy instead of try to prevent infections.

Additionally (back to CNET)

AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy are way more popular and have higher reviews both user and editor wise.

I agree with the MalwareByte. It's excellent software and I have it in addition to the ones I listed. I suppose I degrade SpywareBlaster because it doesn't fit my style.

Additionally (back to CNET)

AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy are way more popular and have higher reviews both user and editor wise.

MBAM is also much newer thus the popularity differences. Nonetheless, MBAM's detection rates are much better (higher) and definitions are constantly updated (multiple times a day). It is by far the most advanced anti-malware application on the market to date.

B

No CNET doesn't do rankings based on total downloads but rather based on downloads this week.

Therefore up and coming software is recognized quickly.

Example: IOrbit's SmartDefrag.

If you paid attention to Download.com MBAM was just on the front page a week or so ago.

B

In fact, MBAM is number 8 currently for most popular software and number 5 for most popular security software.

B

And AdAware is number 3

Which proves they're all excellent software. I recommend having them all if you have the drive space.

Just on AdAware I recommend going to start - run - services.msc and setting the lavasoft agent to manual.

I suppose I degrade SpywareBlaster because it doesn't fit my style.

Because you're a Geek (THANK YOU!) and you actually like to tinker with the idiotbox (THANK YOU!!!) , not me, nuh-uh, more play, less work :)

I haven't had any cooties to merit using MBAN *knockwood* but reading about it knocking out that nasty Antivirus2008/2009, if I ever get a cootie, that will be the first gadget I'll use.

Oh so not a Geek but wish I was,

Liz

Edited by blim
Lol that AdAware is a step above malwarebytes due to its higher popularity. And bounds beyond SpywareSweeper.

Best all in one utility = Advanced System Care

Just because something is more popular doesn't mean it's necessarily always better. Example, just look at Norton Anti-Virus. It is very popular, but, not necessarily the best.

B

Lol that AdAware is a step above malwarebytes due to its higher popularity. And bounds beyond SpywareSweeper.

Just because something is more popular doesn't mean it's necessarily always better. Example, just look at Norton Anti-Virus. It is very popular, but, not necessarily the best.

B

haha its sure as heck isn't on CNET

http://www.download.com/Norton-AntiVirus-2...html#userreview

B

haha its sure as heck isn't on CNET

http://www.download.com/Norton-AntiVirus-2...html#userreview

Newsflash: The world doesn't revolve around CNET - not sure if you knew that. :)

B