Hi all ... my neighbor has a Dell Dimension E-310 ... she tells me that every so often she get the BSOD ... it could happen when she boots up and begins to click on something ... or she could run the system for a while before it happen ... she has the SP - 3 ... I had her check the drivers ... but all the drives seem to be up to date :unsure: ... according to XP ... it has a 2.80 P4 processor with 500MB of ram ... I don't know what other information you might need so if I forgot something please let me know.

Anyone have any idea what is going on ... now that the drivers have been check what would be the next thing to do? :wacko:

Thank you for your time. :thumbsup:

make sure all the hard ware cards are seated properly

i had the trouble when

my ehternet card wasnt sitting in the slot properly

and it was several days before i found the trouble

by taking the hard ware out and reseating them

one by one

this is only one reason

has the hdd

been pinned properly

go to

control panel

sys

start and recovery

and see if the box automatic restart is checked

if not

check it then restart your comp

if the compt keeps restarting

then i suggest you may have a hard ware problem

ram hdd cards ect

good luck

marty

Hi ... thanks for the reply ... My neighbor isn't the type to take apart her computer ... so I'm not sure anything could be loose ... I will have her test the memory ... that could be a problem .... I'll ask her about the auto reset ... thanks ... :thumbsup:

go to control panel => system => advanced => startup and recovery => settings

Uncheck "restart on system failure"

Check "Send admin alert"

Check "create a log file"

This way you will get the full stop error and it will wait for you to write it down and restart the computer rather than flashing the BSOD and rebooting. IT will also make a log file which can be checked to find the cause of the BSOD

Copy down the whole stop error , along with the four parameters and any file referenced.

This way we can look it up and tell you what is causing it and how to fix it.

Generally it is going to be caused by something which has been installed on the computer , or some new hardware.

Its simple really. Every time she gets a blue screen most likely her computer restarts right after she gets it.

On every blue screen there is a code.

See here: http://www.resnetsymposium.org/wiki/images...ue-screen-2.jpg

To prevent her computer from restarting automatically so you can right this down for me do the following.

Go to My Computer.

Click the Tools Menu

Click Folder Options

Click the View Tab

Make Sure Hide Extensions for Known File Types is Unchecked. Then click ok and exit out of my computer

Select the Following Text and copy it into a notepad. You can open a notepad by going to start - all programs - accessories - notepad.

Save this notepad onto your desktop and name it CrashControl.reg

Now you want to put in a USB drive into your computer. Drag this file onto the usb drive. Plug it into the usb drive of her computer and when on her desktop double click this file.

It should say "do you want to add these entries to the registry? Click Yes.

Now wait until she gets a blue screen and write down the code. Post it back here when you are done and I'll walk you through how to fix it.

-------------------------------------------------Copy Below this Line and Paste into Notepad as instructed above ------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]

“AutoRebootâ€=dword:00000000 ;----- Disable Automatic Restart in the event of a BSOD

If you can get me the blue screen code I can help.

You have to add a registry hack to stop it from automatically restarting so you can jot it down.

You can browse through my registry hacks, its in there. Then just make a .reg file and add it to her machine.

If you don't know how to make one I can help you with that.

No, in fact all you have to do is start tapping F8 once a second after you hear the POST beep until you get the enhanced startup options menu. If it has not been disabled, the last option will be

"Disable restart on system failure"

Just select that and hit enter and windows will change the registry for you.

No, in fact all you have to do is start tapping F8 once a second after you hear the POST beep until you get the enhanced startup options menu. If it has not been disabled, the last option will be

"Disable restart on system failure"

Just select that and hit enter and windows will change the registry for you.

I completely understand you. However if the computer is already on my method is quicker.

Additionally I don't know if its happened to you but sometimes you just don't hit F8 quick enough and have to do it a second time.

It really doesn't make too big of a difference. Either method works. Either method generally doesn't take that much time to do.

Okay .... update ... her computer doesn't reboot when she get the bsod ... it just sit there with different error messages each time ...

here are some examples ...

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

and

BAD_POOL_CALLER

since the drivers are all updated ... my guess would be hardware failure ... I want to test the memory and hard drive, but she doesn't have a floppy disc and I don't know how to do it with a cd ... could one of you guys help me out with that? How do I put this memory test on a cd?

The same with a hard drive test ... like seatools ... and which software? ... how can I put that on a CD and use it? :unsure:

HELP :wacko:

Both memtest86 and seatools are run from a cdrom. They both come as .iso files. These files will used to create a cd that the computer will boot from. Here is a link to bootable cd version of seatools.

This is the direct link to memtestx86

Seagate made a tutorial on how to burn an .iso file to cd. This will also work with the memtestx86 .iso

Even if you pass both of the tests, they do not indicate with complete certainty of the health of the device. But if either of the tests fail, you can be fairly certain the piece of the hard ware is bad.

Okay .... update ... her computer doesn't reboot when she get the bsod ... it just sit there with different error messages each time ...

here are some examples ...

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

and

BAD_POOL_CALLER

since the drivers are all updated ... my guess would be hardware failure ... I want to test the memory and hard drive, but she doesn't have a floppy disc and I don't know how to do it with a cd ... could one of you guys help me out with that? How do I put this memory test on a cd?

The same with a hard drive test ... like seatools ... and which software? ... how can I put that on a CD and use it? :unsure:

HELP :wacko:

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793247.aspx

Describes the meaning of the four parameters accompanying this stop errror

Cause

This error is typically caused by a driver passing a bad memory descriptor list. For example, the driver might have called MmUnlockPages twice with the same list.

So, it is most likely a bad driver.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...mm=1&res=20

Do you have intuit software using citrix registration/ activation verification software?

This is known to cause this error. Remember not just hardware uses drivers; many activation verification software and antivirus software use kenel mode drivers, and virtual anything drives (.sys and .vxd files)

0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER

A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=265879&sd=RMVP

Again it is likely to be a driver issue.

I would side with it either being a problem with an antivirus or with activation verification software.

Again , do you have Intuit (tax software)?

What antivirus?

Thanks for those links shane ... very helpful ...

I think you might be on to something pete ... she did say something about not being able to update her virus protection ... I forgot who she said it was ... she's not home right not, but I will do some research with the links you provided and get back to you ...

... just talked to her ... she says she can't update anything ...

Edited by spirittoo
So, it is most likely a bad driver.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...mm=1&res=20

Do you have intuit software using citrix registration/ activation verification software?

This is known to cause this error. Remember not just hardware uses drivers; many activation verification software and antivirus software use kenel mode drivers, and virtual anything drives (.sys and .vxd files)

0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER

A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=265879&sd=RMVP

Again it is likely to be a driver issue.

I would side with it either being a problem with an antivirus or with activation verification software.

Again , do you have Intuit (tax software)?

What antivirus?

I'm afraid I don't follow you on the "intuit (tax software)" how do I find out if she has that ... I doubt she would know ... I didn't understand how they debugged in the instructions given :wacko:

I still don't know what virus software she has ... will find out when I can.:unsure:

Oh yeah ... can you tell me how to find, check, update, and repair these drivers in question?

Shane ... I downloaded the memory zip file ... unzipped it ... and use Nero to burn the file to a disk ... but when I rebooted my computer to test it ... nothing happen ... and I made sure the master CD ROM had the disk and that the boot sequence would be the CD Rom first ... what did I do wrong?

Edited by spirittoo

Turbotax, taxcutplus ? Something like that.

Used to fill out and electronically calculate and submit your income tax forms.

They use a bizarre copy protection scheme to keep you from installing the same copy on multiple machines and it has been known to cause these errors.

But if she cannot update antivirus my next guess would be a virus and you should post on the malware board to get clean before we proceed.