Itunes Customers Angry Over Copy Protection Moves At Apple

November 19, 2008 5:57 PM PST

iTunes customers angry over copy protection moves at Apple

Posted by Elinor Mills

"Want to watch a high-definition show from iTunes on an older external display? Good luck!

Some Mac users are teed off that they are getting error messages saying the iTunes movie they rented or bought can't be played on their display because it is not HDCP (High Digital Content Protection) authorized.

And some people are complaining they are only able to play certain standard definition iTunes content on their laptop or via an HDMI connection.

As a result, some Apple forum participants have threatened to boycott iTunes."

More here: http://news.cnet.com/8300-1009_3-83.html

I sometimes think Movie studios go out of there way to look bad. There now is only one way to watch HD movies without DHCP and that is to steal them. I personally don't care I don't watch much movies don't plan on ever getting blueray and if I want a itunes HD movie I have a Apple TV that has the HDMI out.

how is this diffrent with Windows...

Last year we did a 12 Monitor AV install all at 1080p over Fiber.. we had a issue where no computer with a newer video card would play video at 1080p on monitors we bought 6 month earlier. after some searching and talking to both NVIDIA and Sony. The issues turned out to be HDCP related. we fixed the issue by breaking out the same videocards made a year earlier that did not have a HDCP chip installed.

Apples did not change anything. you just can not order a video card with out HDCP.. its done at the hardware level not the OS level

so this is not new, or unexpected..

Toms hardware had a article about this in windows 2 years ago.. and the possible issues.. there was even a law suit against ATI and NVIDIA

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/08/ati-sue...ng-hdcp-claims/

don't blame the hardware maker but the lawmakers that allow the MPAA and RIAA to abuse Fair Use to protect what they think is theirs.

Nancy I am talking about you ...

:)

good luck