Adobe Flash Updated Against My Wishes And

I'm using Win '98SE so the most recent Flash versions have passed me by. Some sites "recommend" I update Flash, but if I went to Adobe's site they'd say '98 is no longer supported. No problem, I just keep the old version. Ta-da!

However, Adobe snuck an update in there somehow. While deleting extra files (temps, etc.) at the end of the day yesterday I found a Flash update exe in the temp folder. I deleted it 'cause I know I CANNOT update Flash (so I don't have the exact filename) but I didn't know at the time that the update had already taken place.

How do I know it's already taken place? Many Flash-based sites would not load at all ("Page cannot be displayed," "Cannot find site or DNS error"), including Adobe's site, so I can't get anything from them at all. Other sites, such as YouTube, displayed the "Get the latest Flash Player" message in place of the videos (but I can't get the latest, or any player, since I can't access the Adobe site).

-----

I tried uninstalling Flash (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, 'remove' Adobe Flash ActiveX control). Whether or not that uninstalled it I don't know, but it made no difference in my ability to access sites to reinstall Flash. I tried "updating" the ActiveX control in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files, but, at least there, it caught the fact that the current version of Flash was incompatible with my OS and so did not update.

I tried "deleting" that control, now NO Flash-enabled site will load. Can you suggest anything else before I get any deeper into NetFlix withdrawal?

-----

Forgot: Internet Explorer

Used FF (which I don't like) and Flash still works there.

Edited by JDoors

That page looks familiar, I'm certain I've used it before but either lost or misplaced the link. I'm certain that'll do it, if not ... I'll be back!

Thanks (and I'll save that link)!

-----

Just the fact that it opens tells me that's where I need to be. ;)

Edited by JDoors