Boy..... Been awhile since I used Norton.....

Open up the Main Norton Window, And in Options. (on top toolbar), turn off Norton Protection for the Recycle bin. You might have to look since I can't remember where everything is at for Norton. Hopefully someone with Norton will see this and be able to tell you right where to go.

I used to have norton, unitl it locked up my entire computer. boy was i glad I got rid of that program. once again another reason not use Norton, they mess with things on your computer that they shouldn't even have access to.

I used to have norton, unitl it locked up my entire computer. boy was i glad I got rid of that program. once again another reason not use Norton, they mess with things on your computer that they shouldn't even have access to.

Indeed Efwis. Norton System Works was really having a time with my computer as well before I finally uninstalled it. Since then, my couputers have been running beautiful. :D

What year of Norton do you have? Antivirus, or firewall seperately or Internet Security pkg? Do you have your manual for it?

I don't see it in my 2004 antivirus or in the manual. Thankfully! As I detested it on my 2002 version, and had it turned off and just used the regular recycle bin.

I see Avg on your desktop? You aren't running two antivirus programs at same time I hope. Though I dont see how that would be the cause of this problem. They could render each other ineffective I understand, or at least see each other as virus threats. Just a thought on that part.

Have you checked the help button of Norton for the recycle bin thing? Or their online free (automated) support site? Here is the link to that. Maybe that will have an answer for you.

Symantec Support

So let us know which versions you have. Also do you have XPSP2? And have checked the Symantec site for the info to coordinate the two? I think that is on the same page on this link, but don't remember for sure. Also are all your updates to Windows and Norton up to date?

God bless everyone.

thesidekickcat,

Hope I answered your questions!!

1- xp pro with sp2.

2- No, I don't run 2 anti viruses.

3- Have Norton's 2003 Systemworks installed.

4- Checked the site you posted and didn't find any help, also tried the help section to no avail.

5- Computer was built by my nephew.

6- Recycle bin has been working fine since March 2003, first problem occurred yesterday.

7- Been surfing most of the day looking for a fix, I'm still looking for one.

Thanks to all for your responses.

I didn't think you would have two antivirus's, but had to ask.

So no new updates or anything to foul things up?...hmm. You know it takes lots of prayers to get anything Norton to work the way you want... right??? At least that is what I do for it!!!!

Have you tried a reboot or two to see if it self corrects? Most of the time that works for me when it is giving trouble. And lots and lots of time before and after login after a reboot to give it time to figure out what it is doing.

Or since you have XP, would a system restore work?

I am not at all familiar with SystemWorks. Don't even know what it does/has.

Anything in the manual that might help?

"6- Recycle bin has been working fine since March 2003, first problem occurred yesterday."

It seems to be a bit early for the renew now popups to start bugging you, I would think, but maybe it thinks it is out of date early? I am just stretching here for stuff. One reason is because Norton can do some very strange things at times.

Have you right clicked on recycle bin, then properties, to see what might be going on if possible? like lack of room or ????

Does SystemWorks have updates like the antivirus and fiewall? If so maybe one of them has temporarily done something? I have had kooky problems with Common Client updates and others on my av/fw Norton stuff.

I hope someone comes along that can help you out. Good luck with solving it.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to brainstorm things with you, until someone comes along to really help.

God bless everyone.

To turn off Norton Protected Files With Systemworks 2003.

Open up the main window for Norton. Then go to "Options" And Click on "Norton Utilities".

Click on the "Norton Protected" Tab and uncheck "Enable Protection"

Then go to the "Recycle Bin" tab, and set it for "Standard Recycle bin". Click OK.

Restart your PC and see if you can now get into your recycle bin.

I sure hope JSKY's tip works for you. I forgot all about that, but now I remember that when I tried it, it didn't work and I ended up having to do a reformat cause Norton had completely embedded itself into everything. :(

I hope you don't have to go through what I did with it.

Thanks JSKY,

Did as you suggested.

A page opened with the deleted files.

Then right clicked the bin and emptied it.

Went back and tried setting the Recycle Bin Tab and to "All Protected Files"

and under the Norton Protection Tab to " Enable Protection".

No more error messages and all is well again.

Ain't life grand, for the moment??

Thanks again to all.