Post Your Desktop

I know we already have a Post Your Desktop thread but it's in the Graphic Design Forum which apparently doesn't see much traffic.

Original Thread Here:

http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php...t=0&start=0

But every other forum I go to, even those with sections similar to Graphic Design, this type of thread is generally in the Off Topic/Open Chat/General Discussion sections. I want this thread to specifically showcase Besttechie.net's members desktops and the Open Chat section probably sees the most traffic from regular members. So here's mine to kick it off.

souleaterobjectdock.jpg

And for any that do not know how to post a screenshot, Push the Print Screen key on the keyboard (may be labeled Prt Scr or something), then just paste it in Paint, Photoshop, the GIMP or what have you, and save it (JPEG would probably be best). From there just host the image from your preferred image hosting site (I like Photobucket).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine's still the same (from WAY back when) -- Entirely black with just My Computer and the Recycle Bin icons.

Same here.

A flat grey-ish color (very easy on the eyes) with just a handfull of icons.

The fun-factor of the PC has completly left me I guess.

Edited by Bubba Bob

I have no idea what's up with ya'll then cause every computer I've ever used has done this (This computer with FF3, my mom's computer with FF3, my laptop with FF2, the school computers with both IE6 and FF2, friend's computer with FF2, great uncle's PC with both IE6 and FF2):

show.jpg

Hmmmm........I can't seem to post it. I took the ScreenShot, posted it to my Flickr account, used the "insert image" tool on BT, but get this error message: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif"

What am I doing wrong? :unsure:

Mine's still the same (from WAY back when) -- Entirely black with just My Computer and the Recycle Bin icons.

Same here.

A flat grey-ish color (very easy on the eyes) with just a handfull of icons.

The fun-factor of the PC has completly left me I guess.

Hadn't thought it might be a lack of, well, interest. Could be. However, the reason I originally went minimalist is my OS, '98 SE. The less memory and resources I use for backgrounds, icons and the like the more I have to keep this ol' girl running. I have an entire folder on the HD filled with interesting wallpapers, I just can't afford the ~meg of memory they take up while displayed.

Can't wait for the first person to tell me, "Windows '98? I wasn't even BORN then!" :rolleyes:

ObjectDock. I'm still playing with it. Right now it's on the right side of my monitor. Still trying to figure out where I like it.

Thanks..

I'm trying to decide between the two.

I'd probably like mine at the top.

And I've changed my ObjectDock again. It's now back at the bottom but right aligned with the back ground completely transparent and the icon magnification dropped from 158 pixels to 100 Pixels (left the normal size at 55). I'm likin this a lot more.

souleaterobjectdock2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

broke the monitor on the laptop (dropped something on it) so I'm havin to run an external monitor on it at school. I only use it in one class and it's Networking I so I just borrow one of the unused monitors and this is what I have now (lappy's built in monitor is 16:10 widescreen but the external I use at school is 5:4):

bustedmonitor.jpg

I'm getting a new laptop soon so I'm actually happy I broke the monitor. This laptop is pretty pathetic. Celeron 440M with a 1.5GB of RAM and Intel 945G graphics. It can't play the original Half-Life right and hiccups running an SNES emulator. What I'm looking at has an Athlon X2 M QL-62 with 2GB of RAM and GeForce 8200M Graphics.

Nice. I'm lovin my ObjectDock now. I've gotten used to it so it's not all weird to me now. I naturally go to it to open FF and TB now as well as Zoom Player. I'm debating on whether to leave the Computer, Control Panel, and user Folder on there since I don't use them. When I open them through ObjectDock, they won't open maximized and the Control Panel opens in classic mode so I just use the start menu to open all that.

I'll have another new desktop to show soon as I will be buying a Compaq Presario CQ50-210US Laptop tomorrow. Office Depot here in town just happened to have the exact same one I was looking at on Newegg for the same price (I have to pay sales tax either way since I live in TN) so I can save myself $16 in shipping and a wait buying it Office Depot. I can't wait. Finally a mobile computer that can actually run stuff more demanding than FF, Office 2007 and Zoom Player..... again. My first laptop, though technically weaker, had a better chipset (Radeon Xpress 300M) with better graphical capabilities so despite it's lower RAM and slightly weaker processor, it could play newer games while the slightly more powerful one couldn't due to it's horrid Intel 945G chipset. I'm lookin forward to the Mobile Athlon X2 power mated with a GeForce 8200M chipset and 2GB of RAM (which I will undoubtedly upgrade to 4GB later on). It's not gonna blow me away as I'm used to my Athlon X2 6000+, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT, SB X-Fi loaded gaming rig but it's gonna be nice.

By the way, it's this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834107023

Got my new laptop. It's very nice. SO much faster and according to Everest, cooler running (though the bottom of it gets kinda hot). I had to get a load of bloatware off first. Here's the screenshot:

Clannad2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'll have another laptop "desktop" soon as I'm fixing my old laptop, selling the new one, and most likely buying another new one sometime soon. My new one had trouble with stuff I don't think it should have. When an Intel Celeron 440M and an AMD Mobile Sempron 2800+ can both decode and display High Definition H.264 video correctly (720p .mkv files to be exact) while an AMD Mobile Athlon X2 QL-62 using the exact same codecs playing the exact same files cannot decode the video quick enough to keep up with the audio, that just ain't right to me. Plus it's battery life is pathetic. As much as I hate to say it, this laptop is my final AMD purchase. I will be switching to Intel from now on even though I don't like them. Intel is just leaving AMD behind it seems in both performance and efficiency. The laptop I'm looking at now according to it's reviews has a 3 hour battery life with wirelss on. Now that's nice. The one I bought, hour and thirty minutes at best with the wireless turned off. Plus if my experience with a CELERON tells me anything, the Dual Core Pentium in it (which is essentially a reworked Core 2 Duo) should handle H.264 decoding just fine.

Though I said in a previous post that it was faster, that was just in some things, I later found out it was slower in a lot of things despite being technically faster.

Edited by Honda_Boy