Graphics Card Problem ... I Think

Hi All!!

I've got a problem with my graphics card I believe in that when I boot up my PC, it goes through the hardware checking etc, then when the XP logo screen appears it normally changes straight to the user accounts to log on to, however, a couple of days ago I got a message of 'no signal' ... I've tried changing my screen cable, checking the graphics card wasn't loose, burnt out etc, but it seemed ok.

So I thought I'd try and F8 and boot into safe mode (newish pc never done this before) to reinstall the drivers n see if this helped, but every time I've tried I can't get the boot menu up ... and I've looked in the bios settings but I can't see anything about boot options in it.

I've read through some older posts on here but they haven't helped!

I've also tried putting in a new graphics card but I can't even get the initial hardware checking to come up, the screen just stays blank!!

Any suggestions anyone has got would be most appreciated!!

System specs (self build brought of ebay) ... I'm not a n00b to the innerds of a PC as I've installed graphics cards on other machines, but might aswell be with this bloody issue, I can't get my head round it...

2.6ghz, Abit motherboard

XP sp 3

geforce fx5200 256mb graphics card

1gb ram

400gb hd spread over 3 disks

Thanks

Mike

Edited by MikeSilver

faulty ram can cause a blank screen

as well as video card drivers

does your screen go to dos

or is it just blank

also have a look at your connection pins

on the graphics card connection and make sure none

are bent or broken

i your display shows a discolour

then there is a chance it is a bent pin

marty

Edited by martymas
Hi All!!

I've also tried putting in a new graphics card but I can't even get the initial hardware checking to come up, the screen just stays blank!!

Well, if replacing it with a known good card did not result in positive results then we have to ask do you get the POST beep? If not then the motherboard or processor is shot.

If you get a POST beep, then we need to know if you have onboard video? If so , often if the CMOS battery goes dead the BIOS defaults to onboard video.