I am obviously not a techie so I have a basic question

I caught a real bad virus or whatever last week that is screwing up my files - I geeky friend of mine restorerd my basic functions but there is still a lot of flukes

I am using McAfee Security Center which quarantines many items but still leaves my PC unstable - to wit, today I lost my wallpaper and screensaver controls in the Control Panel

my System restore does not work either

I keep getting pop-up windows from McAfee about buffer overflows, viruses ans unwanted programs

today I even got somekind of warning on a blue background (source unknown - it looked like a cmd message) about how some kind of KERNAL was found and that windows had to close (it didn't)

everytime I reboot I get this message

McAfee has automatically blocked a buffer overflow.

About this Buffer Overflow 4X

File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

Buffer overflows can cause legitimate programs to fail. Other programs that experience buffer overflows, however, can be used to harm your computer, compromise its security, and damage valuable files.

McAfee has automatically blocked and removed a Trojan.

While scanning for malware I keep getting this window:

McAfee has blocked a potentially unwanted program (PUP) on your computer. If you do not recognize it, we recommend that you remove the program.

About this Potentially Unwanted Program

Name: Generic PUP.x

Spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted programs can harm your computer, compromise its security, and damage valuable files.

MY Q is this: is it advisable to run another Malware program removal application while McAfee is installed - there does not seem to be a way to deactivate it or am I wasting my time trying to solve this dilemna?

Thanks

Welcome to BT's, 2ndworst, wish it were under better circumstances!

YES you can use multiple antispyware programs with Mcafee, in fact it is recommended as different antispyware programs look for different cooties. Rule of thumb is ONE antivirus, ONE firewall but multiple antispywares.

adaware and spybot have been long recommended. Malwarebytes is a "new guy on the block" and I haven't tried it, but it sure seems to get rid of spyware.

Spywareblaster is terrific--it's kinda like a Firewall for Spyware, prevents cooties from ever getting TO your computer so you don't have to clean them out! And you can use it with your current firewall.

To be safe, I recommend looking at the Malware Removal section here, follow the directions for "how to post a hijack log".

Liz