Telephone Gaffe

Yesterday I had my brother over to my house for a while. He asked to use the phone to call his buddy to set up some plans for later that night. He wanted to dial a number with the prefix '917.......'

Unfortunately, he mistakenly dialed '911' when his fingers slipped. This started a chain of events that resulted in my local police department calling me back and asking if I had called 911. I told the dispatcher that I had my brother using the phone to call someone with a 917 prefix, and he made a mstake and dialed 911. The dispatcher was awesome and he told me that an officer was responding to my residence to check to see if everything was OK - I then told the officer the same story and he told me that the nextt time this happens, to answer the dispatcher's call, which I did, and he said everything was OK.

I like the fact that our PD responds to check whats going on with 911 calls - sometimes you have someone who calls in for help and then on callback you hear everything is OK - It just shocked me that they had sent an officer at about the same time as the call from our dispatcher.

Lesson Learned, Glad to have the PD on the job ;)

Brian

Did your brother just hang up when he realized his mistake?

That's awesome they made absolutely CERTAIN there wasn't a problem. That could've gone any number of other ways.

Agreed:

He Might have - I dont know....

The thing that was strange was that my brother DID come to me and say that he made the mistake and said he called 911 instead of 917 - The dispatcher was very understanding and dealt with it well. I was just shocked that with my POLICE SCANNER ON I did not hear the officer being dispatched because I was talking to people in my livingroom - Had I heard the original dispatch, I would have called Barre City Police and told them immediately of the situation, but they had called me at about the same time as the officer arrived.

Yes, its a GREAT thing that the check to see if there is really a problem after a 911 hangup call. This assures them that no emergency exists ;)

Brian

And here I thought that only happened in teeny little towns like mine where the Cops are bored stiff.

I remember after Daughter was born, a cruiser shining the spotlight on the house at 2am feeding time. I figured he knew the house was normally dark. Next time I made a point of walking in front of the glassed front door with the baby, so he knew.

Many folks asked if it creeped me out, NOOOO, it made me feel safe!!!

Liz

I recently seen a program about dumb 911 calls. The one idiot called 911, not once, but twice, Because the pizza joint sent him pizza with the wrong toppings. Another couldn't get a ride to her doctor's appointment. One guy called because he had a splinter in his hand.

Some people, you got to wonder

Well, I do have to say that after my recent fender-bender I wanted to call the local police, but I have NO idea what the non-emergency number might be. Luckily someone else called 'cause I didn't want to call 911 for something as simple as a fender-bender.

But, yeah, there sure are some helpless, if not ignorant, people out there.