So Does Avg 8 Destroy Anyone Else's Performance?

Today I finally discovered what had been causing so many problems with my PC. I had noticed while opening My Documents that it took ungodly long to load all the icons and took other things too long to load (the icons in My Documents was the most notable). And today I was backing up My Documents to one of my externals and ran into a problem copying (file path too long, stupid Japanese music singles). After that happened, My Documents and the folder I was copying to were responding ridiculously slowly. I did Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Task Manager and that took forever. When it came up I noticed something like avgrsx.exe was chewing up a ton of RAM and raggin on my processor. I figured it'd be Resident Shield cause the RS. So I disabled it and the RAM usage went down. Restarted my rig (for another reason) and opened the My Documents folder and all the icons loaded almost instantly and a lot of stuff loaded faster.

So what I find the kicker to be is this is a system with an Athlon X2 6000+, with 4GB of RAM and 16MB Cache SATA300 Hard Drives. Still, has any one else had problems with AVG 8, more specifically Resident Shield, killing their system's performance?

The Malware community used to swear by programs like AVG Anti Virus and Ewido. After Ewido was bought by AVG they released 7.5 and then incorporated it into there security suite. They have totally changed there programs and nobody really recommends it anymore. For Anti-Virus I recommend Avast! and for a Anti-Spyware I recommend Malware Bytes.

Hi Honda Boy:

In a word: YES. AVG 8 seems to have followed the lead of Norton and has become a hog. Not only that, but you can't get some of the protection with the free version that they always have given with the past versions. And they seem to like nag screens a lot. I used AVG free for 5 + years and always recommended it. But not anymore.

I dumped AVG and I'm currently trying the free vesion of Avast 4. So far, so good. It seems a lot less of a hog, runs seamlesly in the background, offers a lot of user friendly tweaks, and frequent automatic updates. The only thing that it's missing is automatic thorough scans. So you just have to remember to scan your system regularly. The paid version allows this, but I can't justify paying for AV when I can get it free.

Hope that helps,

Joe

Hello Honda Boy:

I Personally have NOT seen any drastic slowdowns because of AVG8, however, it was a tad hard to install to a clients laptop when she first got her machine, because Vista did not recognize AVG8 as an allowed program, which made using it a little strange, because you have to get Defender to play nice with AVG8.

UAC was asking for 'permission' all the time to run AVG8, and I could not find a way to add it to the allowed list.

Sarahw

The Malware community used to swear by programs like AVG Anti Virus and Ewido. After Ewido was bought by AVG they released 7.5 and then incorporated it into there security suite. They have totally changed there programs and nobody really recommends it anymore. For Anti-Virus I recommend Avast! and for a Anti-Spyware I recommend Malware Bytes

Yes, its too bad that good programs like this get bought up and changed for the worse. I used to use AVG AS all the time when I wanted an on-demand scanner, and now I shy away from these, because of the issues that I have heard about. MBAM seems to be a great tool (Otherwise Jeff would not be supporting its use) I use Panda Antivirus and Firewall (7.0) for AV and firewall. (I use the full version of Panda, but will investigate others at some point)

Brian

Edited by baker7

yes i have used avast for several years

and it is far supirior

to avg

as i havent used avg for quite a few years

the pitfalls of the av

is unknown to me

but thanks for the info

a friend wants it on his sys

but ile show him these posts

then i may get him to use avast