well my new problem is now my computer takes a long time to boot up, and it gets to a screen that says "installing service pack: 3 of 3 0%" and its frozen on that screen. sometimes it shuts down by itself. i tried to do some research and found out that i need to delete a pending.xml file. i can open up command prompt and then notepad and see where the file is and i see a pending.xml with a bunch of numbers and letters behind it. is that the one im supposed to delete? thanks, sean.

yes it is the same computer. im running windows vista home prem. what other info would you like to know? i have tried to do chkdsk c: f and r and sfc /scannow and nothing seems to work. it says the orphaned file it fixes is beep.sys but it doesnt seem to work. im on my phones internet so i cant really do much research :( what other info do you need?

well today i went and bought myself an 8gb flash drive on sale and i was wondering... i found out that i can go to cmd prompt in win re and open notepad and locate where the pictures are at but when i try to open them they are just letters and numbers. if i drag and drop them to where my flash drive is in my computer, would i be able to open and save on another computer? thanks for your help, sean

hmm i did some bootrec commands and can now get into safemode. before i try anything with pending.xml how do i copy my pictures to a cd or flash drive. when i insert them in they arent showing in my computer. any ideas? i might just take ownership of the file and rename to pending.old.xml. i would just like to get my pics on a disk first.

Hi Sean.

I see you are getting plenty of help here. And some good help at that.

I was just wondering what your computer specs are.

I am finding out that some of these problems are releated to hardware driver issues. And was just interested in the make-up of your computer.

OK I seen what I wanted.

Did you upgrade the chipset drivers to the latest for your motherboard before you did the MS upgrades?

I'm really interested in the Realtek ALC 888 Audio chipset.

Did you upgrade the drivers for your onboard sound controller from Realtek.

I am beginning to think that the realtek drivers could be the big problem if they are not the latest and greatest.

I still have no solid proof that this is what is causing Vista to crash . But it is leaning that way with what I have been finding out.

Thanks