Phoenix-award Bios Update

..ok..i ran everlast and it recommends i updaste my bios..which frankly i already knew(it's 2 years old..)..and connects me to eSupport.com...they want $69.95 for a "BIOS update package"..that seems a bit out of line to me...

so my question(s) is/are..is that a reasonable price..?? and since i've had trouble finding good info on the Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG that i'm trying to update on a Medion PC, Intel P4 2.8Ghz..with a SiS 648 rev2 Chipset..can anyone point me in the right direction..i'm a bit skiddesh about Bios updates..as i know i can mess things up rather easily..

btw..the Phoenix-Award BIOS page found on google just links to the eSupport page for upgrades.. :blink::unsure:

Gee, I think so too.

I haven't had to upgrade my present box but on my last two computers, I upgraded the BIOS with a FLASH program and I don't remember having to pay anything for it.

I DO know that everything I have read says don't do it (FLASH the BIOS) if you don't absolutly have to because it can screw everything up if something goes wrong during the upgrade. The two times that IDID do it, everything went fine.

I don't mean to scare you off but make sure that your data is backed up safely before you do anything.

did you check to see if the mobo maker has a bios upgrade?

the better mobo maker's have FREE bios updates - along with the info on what problems have been fixed.

btw - i run a mobo that's about 5 year old now and have never updated the bios - but i have the program and update file(s) just in case.

as noted, unless you KNOW that a bios update will fix a particular problem (AND

you are having that problem) it's best to leave the bios as-is.

i understand that some of the newer mobo's have some 'safety' features in case the bios flash procedure fails - but likely you don't have that kind...

anyway, again, check the web-site for the mobo maker - i doubt you want or need to pay for an update...

did you check to see if the mobo maker has a bios upgrade?

the better mobo maker's have FREE bios updates - along with the info on what problems have been fixed.

btw - i run a mobo that's about 5 year old now and have never updated the bios - but i have the program and update file(s) just in case.

as noted, unless you KNOW that a bios update will fix a particular problem (AND

you are having that problem) it's best to leave the bios as-is.

i understand that some of the newer mobo's have some 'safety' features in case the bios flash procedure fails - but likely you don't have that kind...

anyway, again, check the web-site for the mobo maker - i doubt you want or need to pay for an update...

Thanx..the reason i'm trying to upgrade is the latest plug and play support(2.1) is needed to update my sound drivers..this all started when i installed a sony dvd-cd rw..the updated sound driver needs the 2.1 bios support..

i'm on a micro star ms-6701 motherboard (medion oem)..and can't decipher their site to be confident of any upgrades they might offer..

the eSupport deal might be the safest approach as they offer tech support and their program offers a bios backup utility that is supposed to be rather simple..just can't afford the 69.95 right now..

...i'll have to keep digging..thanx for the responses...

i didn't find much on this mobo with google...

if you can post a link to where you looked, i'll visit and see if i can direct you to a particular bios update...

thanx a lot bitbanger..i have found this at the micro-star site..bios

i've downloaded and installed the "live update utility" and interesting enough it indicates that there is no update for my version.. although it also indicates that there are updates for my vga card that are older than the ones i have..not sure what to make of this..sigh..i guess i'm stuck with the $69.95 option.

..appreciate your interest and help.. :)<_<:o

Forget the eSupport nonsense.

Your motherboard manufacturer is the best place to go (as you've done).

When it comes to BIOS upgrades (flashing) unless you're having a problem, don't bother.

An improper flash can totally disable your system.

About the only good reason I've seen for a BIOS upgrade is on systems that have a problem accessing a large hard drive, where the entire drive isn't seen by partitioning/formatting programs.

Otherwise, "if it ain't broke...".

Forget the eSupport nonsense.

Your motherboard manufacturer is the best place to go (as you've done).

When it comes to BIOS upgrades (flashing) unless you're having a problem, don't bother.

An improper flash can totally disable your system.

About the only good reason I've seen for a BIOS upgrade is on systems that have a problem accessing a large hard drive, where the entire drive isn't seen by partitioning/formatting programs.

Otherwise, "if it ain't broke...".

ahh.. the plot thickens...thanx curling steve...just got an email this am from eSupport offering the update for $29.95 in download form....

while i agree that "if it ain't broke.." the issue is required to update the sound drivers...which i need to accomplish since adding a dvd burner..which i'm told is an issue because of the sp2 change to the plug and play support..all rather confusing..but i'm having an issue with the sound recording of my home digital video and dvd burning..

methinks i have more research to accomplish... :ph34r::blink:;)

You know, I said this in an earlier post, but I NEVER had to PAY for a BIOS update.

They have ALWAYS been free downloads.

Does anybody else think this is unusual???

'Does anybody else think this is unusual???'

unusual? - no. looks to me like just another company trying to make some easy bucks providing a 'service' that can be obtained cheaper (or for free) by the mobo maker. the $70 is to me, excessive - as is the $30 for the 'download form'.

as bios code is not something that just anyone can code, i would wonder where and if this ESupport outfit has obtained the rights to be selling this 'service' or code. sounds like a Big Red Flag to me.

granted, some users may just not want to (or be able to) deal with 'doing it themselves' regardless of how much effort the mobo maker puts into making it easier and/or safer to do.

i think screi knows not to mess with flashing a bios un-necessarily, but it does seem he has a problem that might (or might not) be resolved by a bios update.

screi - since the MSI program indicated that there are no updates for your mobo, it seems to me that the problem lies between having SP2 and the sony drive - first place i would check would be sony's support site for that drive for a newer driver or whatever... second, check MS for info on SP2 issues - it's been a while since i saw that, but i seem to recall quite a list... although i think most of the problems were software, not hardware.

'Does anybody else think this is unusual???'

unusual? - no. looks to me like just another company trying to make some easy bucks providing a 'service' that can be obtained cheaper (or for free) by the mobo maker. the $70 is to me, excessive - as is the $30 for the 'download form'.

as bios code is not something that just anyone can code, i would wonder where and if this eSupport outfit has obtained the rights to be selling this 'service' or code. sounds like a Big Red Flag to me.

granted, some users may just not want to (or be able to) deal with 'doing it themselves' regardless of how much effort the mobo maker puts into making it easier and/or safer to do.

i think screi knows not to mess with flashing a bios un-necessarily, but it does seem he has a problem that might (or might not) be resolved by a bios update.

screi - since the MSI program indicated that there are no updates for your mobo, it seems to me that the problem lies between having SP2 and the sony drive - first place i would check would be sony's support site for that drive for a newer driver or whatever... second, check MS for info on SP2 issues - it's been a while since i saw that, but i seem to recall quite a list... although i think most of the problems were software, not hardware.

well.. i'm back..i wish i was a better typist..because i have had an interesting day with this issue...and i'd like to be as thorough as i can with what happened..i'll try to be as specific as my hunt and peck typing allows..

i decided to give the $30 download a try...backed up all my important stuff and read the instructions at least 4-5 times to be as comfortable as possible..the nice thing is the updated bios comes with a flash loader that basically allows you to back up your original bios(and reload it..if necessary)..no issues presented themselves during the install and the bios was flashed successfully..

however..and this is where it gets fun..upon rebooting and getting to my normal login screen..when i entered my password..i was notified that i would have to activate winxp before it would load..got the activation screen and tried to accomplish the activation via internet..was unable to establish a connection and after about five tries..decided to call the 800# to "manually" activate it..the activation screen had a installation id # of about 9 groups of numbers..which i was require to "speak" into the phone..one group at a time..and at the end of which was informed that MS could not and would not activate my version of exp...and the automated operator sweetly suggested i re-install and try again..figured it may not have heard my numbers correctly and tried about 7 times...no luck

now i have an oem version of xp that was factory loaded and which i activated when i bought this machine 2-years ago..and i have twice run the authentification utility successfully in the last week..

while a re-install would not be the end of the world..it would be a pain in the a%%..

i did go into the new bios and check to see if it looked ok..it did except that it did not show an optical drive in the boot-up order..and when i put my xp disk in and rebooted it would NOT boot from the cd..

i'm now getting a bit anxious..lol

i decided i would try to restore the original bios and call e-support on monday..or find a MS phone number that would allow me to talk to a live person..

well the good news is..the bios appear to restore successfully with the flash loader.

.the bad news was..upon reboot i got nothing..nada..bupkiss..no post..black screen..visions of replacing the flash-rom physically "flashed"(couldn't resist the pun..) thru my head..bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and a slightly throbbing headache..good grief...i hosed my computer..

..shut it off..disconnected the power cord and took my 10 y/o daughter to her basketball game for a couple of hours(they won 10-9)..ate dinner..plugged it back in..turned it on and good grief..it posted..started right back up..with the original bios intact and no activation required..

i'm not sure what the issue was..i suspect the new bios and xp activation are related..as is the fact that i have added a hard drive(slave) and a dvd burner..but frankly i'm relived to have survived this with a few hours of anxious contemplation and panic

i guess i still have some research to do...and i believe i'll ask for my money back from eSupport..but perhaps i've just missed something...hehehe

sorry for the ramble..but thought i owed you good folks the story..

oh..an btw the sony drive's firmware has been updated to the most current..the original and still current issue is the in-ability to update the sis7012 sound driver..which sony and nero both suggest be updated to the latest..

:ph34r::blink::unsure:

to address some other issues raised in this discussion

esupport is apparently the Phoenix-Award bios vendor as evidenced by their website

and my everlast program also uses their link in their(eSupport's) update bios link...

and i certainly agree that paying for this is not what i'd like..but i'm trying to resolve a specific problem..and i have spent a considerable amount of time looking for free resolutions...

unfortunately the pay path has yet to produce a satisfactory resolution... as we all know is all to often the case..

Medion's site is well known to me...their drivers are not updates and are simply copies if the drivers i have on my factory disks..so they are no real help..unless i lose the cd..

i do appreciate the help.. :)

if you just need the audio driver updated this is what I would suggest.. just get the updated driver. currently the newest driver is V1.11.

If this is newer then the one you have, you don't have to mess with the BIOS at all. I get all my BIOS info for free from Gigabyte {mobo manufacturer} for my mobo, but only had to get it once for my computer. Now it updates itself if it needs to.

Anyway I did a search for your problem, I used the Keyword SIS 7012 updates and this is what I found.

Now if your current audio driver is this version don't bother, it seems to me the problem may be Everquest as I have found related issues to that program causing false info.

if this V1.11 is newer then your current driver then click on the following link and update your driver. Good luck.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sis7012.html

if you just need the audio driver updated this is what I would suggest.. just get the updated driver. currently the newest driver is V1.11.

If this is newer then the one you have, you don't have to mess with the BIOS at all. I get all my BIOS info for free from Gigabyte {mobo manufacturer} for my mobo, but only had to get it once for my computer. Now it updates itself if it needs to.

Anyway I did a search for your problem, I used the Keyword SIS 7012 updates and this is what I found.

Now if your current audio driver is this version don't bother, it seems to me the problem may be Everquest as I have found related issues to that program causing false info.

if this V1.11 is newer then your current driver then click on the following link and update your driver. Good luck.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sis7012.html

Thank you..that's what started the search for a bios update..the sis7012 driver installation(for the new version) fails with the following error: "Update Driver for Plug and Play Devices -536870397" and then quits the install..

so i'm kinda going in circles here...and i have also downloaded the MSI utility for my motherboard...but am leery because some of the driver updates it indicates are older than the ones from the driver manufacturer...

btw.. eSupport refunded my 29.95 with no problem..the shame is the bios updated successfully..but doing so in-validated my product installation id# for activation and i was unable to start windows...

Anyone have the activation phone # of a "Live person" i can not accomplish the activation with the automated system..perhaps if i explain what's happening i can get a new product key for the new configuration..????

thanx for the help..will keep you all posted on the progress of the "quest" :ph34r::blink::unsure:;)

well i'm not sure about the phone number part, but I have gotten some good answers from their online chat

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertz...ts/default.mspx

There is always someone there that can help with that situation, who knows they might even have a number for ya, oh and btw, they give you two (2) help sessions for free on theri phone line, after that they start charging you $20 for any other assistance calls.

lol..thanx Efwis...i don't do too well in chat environments...if you knew how long it takes me to type this you'd laugh too..heh..(actually had a chat support person for a printer i bought a while back yell at me for being to slow..she suggested i pay for phone support..rather rudely i might add..)

the other issue is..since this is an oem version of xp..i'm told to "call the manufacturer" who was very helpfull in the first year..but can't help me with this issue..."it's a Microsoft issue" to them..

i've seen other posters recommend calling MS for these kind of activation problems..just curious what number might be available..? :blink:

ok you can try one of two things here.

First of all you can try the lovely 800 number listed by M$ supposedly, according to there site there is another number you can call and talk to a live person, that number should be found upon your activation screen.

To activate Windows XP over the telephone, you can simply call a toll-free* number displayed on your screen. A customer service representative will ask for the installation ID number displayed on the same screen, enter that number into a secure database, and return a confirmation ID to you. Once you have typed the confirmation ID, the activation process is complete.

*The telephone numbers to call are displayed when telephone activation is chosen.

Second off you can see if you can get anywhere with this number, although i believe it is their general support number that you have to pay to use. 1-800-936-3500 (US & Canada only)

Now I can tell you that I had a similar incident when I first installed my XP a year ago and actually talked to a real person from that lovely 800 number on the activation screen.

Good Luck and keep us informed

ok you can try one of two things here.

First of all you can try the lovely 800 number listed by M$ supposedly, according to there site there is another number you can call and talk to a live person, that number should be found upon your activation screen.

To activate Windows XP over the telephone, you can simply call a toll-free* number displayed on your screen. A customer service representative will ask for the installation ID number displayed on the same screen, enter that number into a secure database, and return a confirmation ID to you. Once you have typed the confirmation ID, the activation process is complete.

*The telephone numbers to call are displayed when telephone activation is chosen.

Second off you can see if you can get anywhere with this number, although i believe it is their general support number that you have to pay to use. 1-800-936-3500 (US & Canada only)

Now I can tell you that I had a similar incident when I first installed my XP a year ago and actually talked to a real person from that lovely 800 number on the activation screen.

Good Luck and keep us informed

yes..that's just it..the 800# on the activation screen ONLY connected me to the automated activation...there never was an option presented to talk to a live person. and after repeatedly trying to enter the product installation id..(9 groups of long numbers..) i was informed that my windows could not be activated..and it was suggested that i re-install windows..( i would probably do that..but i have no confidence that i would be able to activate again...since i'm on an oem key..

and now that i have restored the bios to the original..i no longer get the activation screen and even when i pulled it up from the command prompt..it simply reports that my version has been activated..

been a bit busy.. so i haven't had time to invest on the phone waiting for customer support..but probably will have time later this weekend..i'll see what i can get connected to..

if i re-install the new bios..i want to have a valid option to activate my windows before i'm asked for it...

good grief what a quest.. :blink:<_<

• 2 weeks later...