How To Increase Speed In Windows Vista?

Change your theme!

First of all you need to change your theme. If you have a new computer the default theme is the WIndows Aero. To change it to Windows Vista Basic right click on your Desktop. Choose personalize. Next click Windows Color and Appearance, then choose Windows Vista Basic. Windows Vista Basic theme does not use to much memory as the Aero theme. Cause the Aero theme has to much graphics ans style which makes it slow.

Download Ccleaner!

Another thing you can do is download CCLEANER! From Download.com -> Search Ccleaner, and download the lastest ,and free version. Ccleaner helps get rid of your junk files ,and invalid Registry Entries.You would be amazed how fast your computer can be if you never tried Ccleaner. If you are a poweruser run it every two weeks. If u surf the web a lot ,and download apps. If you just use ur computer not a lot then just run it every 3-4 weeks.

Defrag your Computer

Defrag your computer/laptop about every 3-4 months. Unless if you don't really use your computer a lot then defrag it 6-7 months. Defraging your computer helps clean-up and organize files which u deleted, or programs you uninstalled. So by defraging it deletes that junk ,and makes the files programs closer so your computer doesn't have to use a lot of memory to find your program. There are two options you can do: Use Windows Defragment. Or an third-party software like Auslogics Disk Defrag or Diskeeper.

Last but not the least!

Delete the files you do not want. Also software that you never use just uninstall them. So I hope this helps you.

If you have a question please feel free to contact me.

Contact Info:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

be carefull with ccleaner

it can get you into trouble

any one recommending this program

should post these wranings

i suggest you read the help files

the bloody program

blocked my access to windows

and being a new chum to the program

i had to reinstall windows

and i havent used it since

there are safe

and just as good progams out there

as this ccleaner

and SAFER

marty

I can tell you easily how to increase the speed of your computer, and it isn't from deleting temporary files that almost certainly will reduce your speed.

1. Disable all startup items except one antivirus program preferrably avast.

2. If you are advanced computer user disable and remove your antivirus, firewalls, spyware guard. Instead just install Malwarebytes and run a weekly scan on your computer.

3. Disable un-needed services. There are a huge bit of services on vista and xp which are meant for networking. If you would like I can give you the list to disable.

4. defrag your computer with Iorbit's smart defrag on "deep optimized". This is much more effective than windows default crap defragger.

5. Defragment your registry with NT registry tweaker.

6. Defragment your pagefile with the page defragger. It's a microsoft powertoy.

7. Turn off all eye candy.

8. Disable indexing service

9. Disable remembering folder options

10. Disable performance counters

11. Select "No GUI boot" via msconfig

12. Google any remaining processes and determine if they are unnecessary and how to remove them.

13. Buy more ram if you have under 1 gigabyte.

14. Download startup delayer to spread your programs out if you have XP

• 1 month later...

There's a simply way to speed up your computer.

1) Start

2) Right Click My Computer

3) Select Properties

4) Click Advanced

5) You see performance? Click settings

6) The first tab should be Virual Effects Click Adjust for Best Performance.

Dowload: CCleaner.com

Warning: Use this at your own risk. Some Important files may be deleted.

Edited by Novelust

there is few ways to make computer fast.

Start

3) Select Properties

4) Click Advanced

5) click virtual memory and set .

delete temp and prefetch files from the computer.

disable the start up items from the msconfig utility.

start>run type msconfig.

• 4 weeks later...

Start

3) Select Properties

4) Click Advanced

Set what? The typical rule of thumb is to set your virtual memory twice that of your physical RAM amount. I'm not sure what good setting "." would do. Feel free to explain yourself.

B

be carefull with ccleaner

it can get you into trouble

any one recommending this program

should post these wranings

i suggest you read the help files

the bloody program

blocked my access to windows

and being a new chum to the program

i had to reinstall windows

and i havent used it since

there are safe

and just as good progams out there

as this ccleaner

and SAFER

marty

I must agree with marty on this one!! Anyone who uses CCleaner or ANY OTHER type of registry cleaner should be aware of the problems that it can cause. I am in training for malware removal, and one of the first things we were told was NOT to recommend the use of this or any other registry cleaner to ANYONE. They do NOT speed up your computer significantly, can remove legitimate reg entries, and cause irrepairable harm to your PC. Warnings should be posted, but these programs are, and can be DANGEROUS if you do NOT know what you are doing, and use it improperly.

Please, do NOT just go download CCleaner or any other program without guidance - our HJT/Malware Removal Team are trained in how these programs are used, and know how to and when to use them. Improper usage of any program like this can cause harm to your machines and files, and sometimes can make the job of removing malware HARDER.

I am sure that one of our managers will back me on this one - The Registry is a place that holds everything that deals with Windows - If there is something that needs to be removed, your best bet is to ask for assistance. I DO NOT recommend the use of Registry Cleaners, because they can be dangerous!!!

Good Luck, and Be Careful!!

Brian

Edited by baker7

Start

3) Select Properties

4) Click Advanced

Set what? The typical rule of thumb is to set your virtual memory twice that of your physical RAM amount. I'm not sure what good setting "." would do. Feel free to explain yourself.

B

Agreed, Jeff - Setting "." would not be effective, however, checking mine, (Virtual Memory) I have it set for 1536-3072MB.

Right Click My Computer

Select Properties

Click Advanced Tab

Find Performance

Click Settings button

Click Advanced Tab

Find Virtual Memory

Click Change Button

Adjust VM as directed by Jeff, setting it at 2x your total ram amount. When done, click OK, Then OK Again. Mine is set for a Custom initial size of 1536MB and a Maximum Size of 3072MB. Oddessy has 1GB of RAM.

Good Luck!!

Brian