There is a difference between Hacking and Cracking, Tho some don't think so. To some, Hacking is just tweeking your PC to run better. And cracking is causing misfortune to others, or stealing programs. If you want to learn how to tweek your PC to run better, that's one thing, And all you have to do is ask. But if you want to know how to get codes for programs or learn how to crack programs to get them for free. This will not be allowed on BestTechies. We are all here to help others, not to cause problems.

Hope this explains where BT stands on the subject.

So if you want to learn how to help. Just start asking, or read the many fine postings here to get a start.

Edited by JSKY

as our local previously convicted hacker i guess i should put in my two cents.

(once again waves hello to the 3 FBI agents in the flower delivery van outside the window)

"Hi Bob, Hi Tom, Hi new guy Derek"

(Derek ducks below window to avoid being seen as Bob and Tom laugh at him)

(Bob and Tom wave back)

first of all i will not give any answers here. B would not like it and i strongly recomend against attempting to affecting other systems in any way. but remembering how young and stupid i was (still am a little). depending on what you need to do i can point you in the right direction. i know several forums where you can get exactly the help you need. there are way more types of hacking and it does depend on what kinda system you are on (including Mac) and what you are doing. you can PM me if you like.

Message to all others

don't be afraid to ask, we are very friendly and helpful here. we might not be able to always help but no question will be turned away or frowned apon.

Peter and I were talking, and from what I understand is he is not so interested on learning how to malicously effect other machines, but rather understand how its done, what goes on inside when it happens, and how to prevent it. I think (yes, only thinking) that to really understand how to prevent it, you need to know the first two parts first. Peter, correct me if I'm just going off into nowhere here...

M@

I'll be glad to answer, and so will allot of others. Any questions to the good of the community. And to the advancement of a safer web. We can use all the support out there we can get.

I would post some links but...

Some of them would probably not be accepted on this site

but if you search..white hat hackers on google or alltheweb

(The hackers that learn hacking for security reasons and do not tolerate mailicious hacking)

then you can find some nice forums...

Someone knows what Im talking about correct me if im wrong about the white hat? was it weird names so i confuse them :huh:

Alright, I'm not bad with computers and programming a little and such, but I am totally oblvious to hacking. How does it work? or are we not supposed to talk about that....?

i can understand if were not....haha

p-ta

Your to talk to no one about it!! never say you are a hacker just to feel cool, some of the best hackers in the world would look just the the regular dude, and say nothing to no one that they can hack. the only one that is supose to knows is the hacker and his computer...

P.S

A good hacker doesn't want to hurt anyones pc, then that pc would be no use for them, a good hacker wants to controll a good running pc not crash it....

Peter and I were talking, and from what I understand is he is not so interested on learning how to malicously effect other machines, but rather understand how its done, what goes on inside when it happens, and how to prevent it. I think (yes, only thinking) that to really understand how to prevent it, you need to know the first two parts first. Peter, correct me if I'm just going off into nowhere here...

M@

The best way to understand what goes on and how to prevent it from happening to you, is to learn how to do it yourself. Now I'm not saying go hack your way into things. I'm only saying to learn how it is done. I think then you will have a better understanding of it.

Firefighters learn how to build fires. I also believe a bit of knowlodge is useful to prevent problems.

M

yes..and some firefighters are caught setting fires also...(if you live in S Calif..you know what i'm alluding to..)

point is...this kind of stuff can be tempting..be careful.. ;)

Well said everyone...

I would suggest some of the "for Dummies" books in various topics. They are very good, and when you put the pieces together, you should be able to come up with something. Something along the lines of:

Programming Languages

TCP/IP

XML

and others come to mind. (i havent read all those, but w/e)

M@

ok, first off I am not going to pounce on anyone, I think the first thing you need to do Petabeata is figure out what it is that you are looking for and why. Second off I along with other mods and the admin team will be monitoring this thread closely. if it starts going over that little line that you are standing very close too, I or another will end this topic. so consider yourself notified for safety sake.

Second off, I used to be a hacker/cracker. I got out of it when the feds were starting to get tough back in the 80's. so now I ask you Petabeata, what is it that you want to truely find out???

if it is dealing with the mechanics go right ahead, and ask it straight out. if it deals with why people do it , well thats an easy answer. and to put it bluntly it is the thrill of doing something illegal that cause people to do it, until they get caught.

if your intentions are legal and legitimet, for example a school paper on the subject, we have no worries answering your questions. However if your intentions are for harrassment, or terrorizing people, or stealing property of other people, well, we can't help you.

By the looks of your post you saw the posting I made dealing with hacking/cracking. if not then look here http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1405

enjoy your info gathering, and please don't be afraid of this dragon.

I think it's okay to learn about tweaking software and figuring out how things work within the limits set out in law.

However, if you want to learn how to do things that will get you arrested then this is not the right place to look. The term "hacking" has a negative tone to it and conjures up images of people doing nefarious things.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge, but, stay legal. :D

I don't want to learn to damage or hurt other's computers or steal info, just to understand how its done, how vulnerabilites are exploited and why it works.

I've always wondered just how on earth its done, that's all. I wasn't really even going to test it or anything, let alone steal info or harrass people. I just would like to know for interest's sake only.

I don't want to learn to damage or hurt other's computers or steal info, just to understand how its done, how vulnerabilites are exploited and why it works.

I've always wondered just how on earth its done, that's all. I wasn't really even going to test it or anything, let alone steal info or harrass people. I just would like to know for interest's sake only.

Sigh. The only hands-on experience I have with anything terribly interesting in this field is with stack-smashing, and I'm having trouble thinking of how to explain that to someone who isn't already familiar with the problem. The most popular introduction seems to be the old Phrack article but IMO it's not that great.

*ponder*

Edited by Moderator: disabled Link, programming code is shown on website.

Edited by Efwis

i was wondering when this site would attract people like this.

it was inevitable new site new people.

i think i pmed a moderator about this sort of person .

so the sooner us as a community get rid od these mongrels the better.

dont give me thet crap that to learn is to better your compting .

i see 90 percent of the answers to this post agree.what about the 90 percent of users who are compt illiterate.

seems everone has forgotten them.i saw this disscussion at techtv for many weeks .come all you x hackers.get rid of this poster

marty

so the sooner us as a community get rid od these mongrels the better.

Eh? It's a harmless question. It's not like he asked for a Playskool My First Wormâ„¢ kit or something.

dont give me thet crap that to learn is to better your compting .

Well, I can't comment on how it affects other people's computing experience, but as an it's rather important to me that I know about these things so I can avoid introducing security issues into my own programs. The techniques are also sometimes interesting or valuable in their own right. Since petabeata apparently has some interest in, or at least knowledge of, programming, I assumed that it was similarly a matter of professional (or rather, amateur :)) curiosity.

Edited by jcl

Hey marty, I understand where you are coming from. If this came from some random person, I would say the exact thing as you. Don't worry, Mods have seen this thread, and its ok, but being watched. Not to be biased or anything, but I know petabeata pretty well, and he's not exactly a Kevin Mitnick to be. I don't have a problem with this thread continuing, as long as it doesn't cross a cetain line.

M@

Personally, I think Mary's reply was a rude way to welcome someone. (Or at least it sounded that way to me. Sorry if it wasn't meant that way.)

If someone truly wanted to learn how to use that kind of information for malicious reasons, they would learn it from the underground sites who have the best information. Believe me, that kind of malicious information isn't that hard to find. ;)

Personally, I think Mary's reply was a rude way to welcome someone. (Or at least it sounded that way to me. Sorry if it wasn't meant that way.)

If someone truly wanted to learn how to use that kind of information for malicious reasons, they would learn it from the underground sites who have the best information. Believe me, that kind of malicious information isn't that hard to find. ;)

I agree totally with Nerelda. He was asking for technical help and enough replies were made about the differences between learning about how hacking works, not for malicious purposes. Not a good way to welcome someone here....As Nerelda said ..there are plenty of underground sites he could have gone to if he was planning evil....

And calling someone a mongrel is just the flicker to a flame.....not nice.....maybe you need some time away.....

ok all,

As matt has already explained this thread is being monitored. Also, i do want to point out opinions are a free expressed thing, lets not turn this into a Flame Thread!

Martymas, first of all welcome back. Second of all, I am monitoring this thread very closely. and as soon as it crosses that line, the post that crossed it will be removed, and this topic will be locked permenantly...

Now to answer petabeata's question, since no one else has here we go.

there really is no simple way to answer this, so sorry if I get a little tech on ya.

Hacking/Hijacking/cracking of software or computers is kinda of easy if you know certain Programming languages. Most of the attacks are done with a malicious code that is written to exploit the computers security. I'm not going to go into detail on doing the coding as things have changed immensly since I did it. at that time all computers were running windows 3.1 with MS DOS.

Vulnerabilites are exploited by the Hacker finding a weak spot or back door to the program or computer that allows him/her to change certain settings of it. Becasue of the back door, which most companies leave for their own programmers, the person can get into the computer or software and make it do what they want it to do by rewriting a subroutine, or rewriting a section of code.

Most hackers today use what is called a bot (short for robot obviously) which is a program designed to test for vulnerabilites in software or computers. Most of the High risk and medium risk attacks that your firewall will report, if you are using a third party firewall as Windows firewall does not do this, are bots checking your system for access. These bots are sometimes called packet sniffers, trojans, or worms. as long as you firewall and AV are up to date, 99% of these pests are repelled or captured. that remaing 1% that do get through are either:

A: new variants that have never been used before so the code isn't available to the firewall or AV company.

B:allowed in because someone unknowingly downloaded them with an email attachment or througha peer to peer (P2P) program such as Kazaa

C: they disabled their AV and or Firewall to download a program or update, and it snuck in then.

it think that pretty much answers the question without giving away important security related information.

Anyone else who wants to reply please do so, if you are concerned that your may be crossing that thin line that causes this to be closed and your post removed feel free to pm it to me first and I will let you know what if any changes should be made.