No Partition Is Defined Yet!

Hi

I am trying to delete a partion to free up some space to add a couple of partions. The following is what I have

Disk /dev/hda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hda1 * 1 16 128488+ 83 Linux

/dev/hda2 17 81 522112+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/hda3 82 146 522112+ 83 Linux

/dev/hda4 147 12161 96510487+ 5 Extended

/dev/hda5 147 179 265041 b W95 FAT32

/dev/hda6 180 12161 96245383+ 8e Linux LVM

I have tried to remove hda6 & hda5 using d

and recieve the message No partion is defined yet! And fdisk will not read hda4. Any suggestions for a newbie.

You could try a live cd like Ubuntu. Ubuntu comes with gparted which will allow you to relatively safely re-size and delete partitions on your unit.

However, back-up your data before you attempt to delete partitions in case things go badly.

ok,here's d smart way but it will delete all ur data.so,its advisable to take a back up at an external drive. put in redhat,if u have one,and boot it thru d bios. then,while formatting ur disk,switch off ur comp when its around 85-90% formatted. if this is wat i think,ur comp will not recognise any system and will start afresh..then, u'l be able to partion the HDD..BUT try this ONLY if u r left with no other option like putting a live cd.. :D

That won't delete the partitions.

Nuking hda4 might.

actually,i was facing this problem a yr back and got d solution by my way..i had tried it...

Formatting hda{1,2,3,5,6} shouldn't affect the partition map. Formatting hda4 might eliminate hda{5,6} but I would expect that hda4 would then be unusable because it would be typed as an extended partition in the MBR but the extended boot records in the logical partitions would be missing.

The brute force solution would be to change the MBR partition table manually.

• 13 years later...