I am new here and with computers and I would like some advice please. I am going to school for IT and technician but I havent had a whole lot of experience. I had a guy bring me 3 computers, one he said may have got struck by lightening. He wants to know if I can build him one computer. None of the power supplies work because when I plug them in, the fans dont turn. I dont even know what parts go to what computer because he had some of each PC taken apart already. What should I do? Build it outside the case to see whats what? Should I even take on a job like this? I want the hands on experience but it seems all I get are these crap jobs. What would you guys do?

First I would identify all of the parts and see what are compatible. If there are enough compatible parts to build one computer then you need to get your hands on a working power supply so the test of all parts can be begin. Building outside of the case is preferrable due to the ease of swapping parts. This is one of the best ways of creating confidence with building a PC.

I am new here and with computers and I would like some advice please. I am going to school for IT and technician but I havent had a whole lot of experience. I had a guy bring me 3 computers, one he said may have got struck by lightening. He wants to know if I can build him one computer. None of the power supplies work because when I plug them in, the fans dont turn. I dont even know what parts go to what computer because he had some of each PC taken apart already. What should I do? Build it outside the case to see whats what? Should I even take on a job like this? I want the hands on experience but it seems all I get are these crap jobs. What would you guys do?

1. Modern Power supplies are what is called switching power supplies. They are in fact always energized when plugged in but only switch power to the rails when two specific wires on the motherboard connector are shorted by the momentary interrupt switch on the front. You can buy a cheap power supply tester (recommended if you are getting into the field) for about ten bucks, or you can short the wires with a paper clip and it will start the power supply.

2. There are many sites online which guide you through building our own PC; this is a good place to start learining things; but more important will be hands on experience. It helps to have one of the computers capable of booting to its BIOS splash screen. If you can get one to do that, then the next step is to disassemble it , observing proper anti static (ESD) precautions and taking careful notes (sketches, and diagrams of what came from where , notes on how to recognize specific components, notes on how to tell which end of a cable goes to the drive and which to the motherboard, and what connector it goes to. Everything is labeled, you just have to learn where to look. Sticky lables can be useful at this stage too.Oh and do not forget the screws, many appear similar but are actually different. They can be told apart once you know the difference. Make sure to keep track of what came from where so you do not strip a thread). The objective is to be able to take the computer completely apart into all its individual components; go out and have a beer and pizza and come back and put it all together and have it still boot to bios.

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/ATX_Pinout

To test the basic function of an ATX power supply, short the Green wire with one of the grounds. This should turn the power supply on.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8