for various reason i have put off installing xp sp3...i see that M$ has kindly downloaded it to me automatically(i'm set to download but not install until i say so..)...since i like to turn my computer off at night...this means that it will try to install the update if i want to turn off my machine...

so...shall i follow the instructions in the sticky...or has it been made stable enough to just let the updater do it's dirty deed...??

Thanks..

wayne :blink::unsure::wacko::angry:

As far as I know the bugs are worked out. I don't allow Automatic Updates. I have downloaded SP3 and slipstreamed it to my XP Home SP2 CD. I am waiting to do a fresh install on my system on a different hard drive to see if there is a difference.

From what I understand, you still have to make sure the idiotbox is squeaky clean for SP3 and I know it should be re-started after clean-up, which will put Screi in the dillemma of the update automatically installing once it's re-started. My idiotbox is set up that way, too <_< (wonder how to disable THAT feature??? Son's older SP2 machine waits until the user actually allows the installation!)

I wonder if doing a system restore will get rid of the download and then go into updates and disable automatic updates, if that will do the trick? I know one update a long time ago screwed up my idiotbox and the DellDudette had me System Restore, which fixed the problem

Thank you by the way, Wayne....I disabled my auto updates. I want to do SP3 when I'm good and ready for it........

Liz

Edited by blim

Hi Liz...well i meant to set the updater to notify...but put it off..lol..procrastination bit me again...

so i guess i'll back up some critical data...check my internet settings...and try to follow the sticky procedures and give it a go...i too wish i knew how to disable the "install updates before shut-down feature.."

but i have learned a lesson about how i have my updater configured

UPDATE: well..followed the sticky and let the updater do it's thing...no mess no fuss..

ADDITIONAL UPDATE: both my daughters machines updated using the updater with no issues...i did follow the stickies advise and cleaned up the c drive(defrag..sfc etc)..turned off the anti virus and tea-timer..ones a Compaq and the other is an e-machine...

just to let you know.. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Edited by screi

I recently had to do a re-format and re-install of XP Pro and I had the SP3 on a CD.

I installed the XP Pro, then I popped in the SP3 and it went off without a hitch. Runs

fine and I'm all up to date. FWIW

From what I understand, you still have to make sure the idiotbox is squeaky clean for SP3 and I know it should be re-started after clean-up, which will put Screi in the dillemma of the update automatically installing once it's re-started. My idiotbox is set up that way, too <_< (wonder how to disable THAT feature??? Son's older SP2 machine waits until the user actually allows the installation!)

I wonder if doing a system restore will get rid of the download and then go into updates and disable automatic updates, if that will do the trick? I know one update a long time ago screwed up my idiotbox and the DellDudette had me System Restore, which fixed the problem

Thank you by the way, Wayne....I disabled my auto updates. I want to do SP3 when I'm good and ready for it........

Liz

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but you can disable/ enable auto updates from Control Panel-> Security Center -> Manage Security Settings for: Automatic Updates.