Sometimes I wonder what I'm a-gonna do

But there ain't no cure for the summertime flu

Gonna take a few days, gonna down some medication

Gonna take my problem to the physician

Well I called my doctor and she said quote

"I'd like to help you Don, but I'm in Terre-Haute "

Sometimes I wonder what I'm a-gonna do

But there ain't to cure for the summertime flu

Total bummer when someone with no immune system gets sick.

... "Coconut ", by Harry Nilsson

"Bruder bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime,

His sister had anudder one she paid it for de lime.

She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up

She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up.

She put de lime in de coconut, she call de doctor, woke 'im up,

Said "doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"

I said "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache,"

I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"

I said "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."

Now lemme get this straight,

You put de lime in de coconut, you drank 'em bot' up,

You put de lime in de coconut, you drank 'em bot' up,

You put de lime in de coconut, you drank 'em bot'up,

You put de lime in de coconut, you call your doctor, woke 'im up,

Said " Doctor, ain't there nothing' I can take?"

I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."

I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?'

I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache,"

You put de lime in de coconut, you drink 'em bot' togedder

Put de lime in de coconut and you'll feel better,

Put de lime in de coconut, drink 'em bot' up,

Put de lime in de coconut and call me in the morning."

Woo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.

Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.

Brudder bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime,

His sister had anudder one she paid it for a lime.

She put de lime in de coconut and called de doctor, woke 'im up.

And said, "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?'

I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."

I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"

I said, "Doctor, now lemme get this straight,

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot'up,

Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' up,

Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' up,

Put the lime in the coconut. You're such a silly woman.

Put a lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' together

Put the lime in the coconut, then you'll feel better.

Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both down,

Put the lime in your coconut, and call me in the morning,

Woo--ain't there nothin' you can take?

I say, woo--to relieve your belly ache,

You say, well woo--ain't there nothin' I can take?

I say woo--woo, to relieve your belly ache,

You say yow--ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say wow--to relieve this belly ache,

I said "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"

I said, "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"

I said, "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"

I said, "Doctor you're such a silly woman.

Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both together,

Put the lime in the coconut, and you'll feel better,

Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' up,

Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning.

Yes, you call me in the morning, You call me in the morning,

I'll tell you what to do if you call me in the morning.

I'll tell you what to do and if you call me in the morning

I'll tell you what to do. "

I pray this old ditty cheers you up,

hope you get better soon.

The flu blows. And blows, and blows, and ...

Get better. How long does the flu generally last for you?

About three to four weeks. I tried to work today, but I had to keep running back home to my toilet. All they allow me to take is alcohol free Robitussin Cough & Cold CF and Benadryl plus I am allowed one regular 225mg Tylenol every 12 hours.

With no spleen I know where you are coming from.

I too am dealing with summertime flu.

Today was really bad; migrane level headache, nausea, eyes blurry and hurt , skin hurts, joints hurt, back and neck ache.

Took four aspirin and three advil (out of tylenol normally it is three aspirin two tylenol but am out of tylenol) before I remembered I had bought a bunch of Excedrin back and body .

The aspirin helps with the fever , although it has been some time since I had a solid night sleep (fever dreams you know, sure to wake you enough to get the kidneys running again and have to wake up and piss - which reminds me I hate those ads which blame getting up to piss at night on prostrate trouble. The kidneys are practiacally shut down when you sleep deeply, it is only when something rouses you that they suddenly kick into overdrive and you have to go.).

Now I have that horrid taste you get in your mouth when the fever subsides for a few hours.

Morning and I feel much better but have a horrible backache and low grade fever.

Will be going by Sam's Club to fill a prescription for the OL so I will pick up another big bottle of tylenol.

(She wants me to take echinacea extract and oregano oil , swears they will cure what ails you. )

Pretty miserable when you are sitting in air conditioning sweating like crazy , knowing you will have chills if the fever ever breaks. I feel best in my truck with all the AC ports pointed at my head and torso. I have good AC in the truck , could blow snowballs in a cooler climate but just does 40F here.

Edited by Pete_C
The kidneys are practiacally shut down when you sleep deeply, it is only when something rouses you that they suddenly kick into overdrive and you have to go.).

Yeah, like a plump kitty cat doing a dance on your bladder. :-0

Two days of diarrhea and coughing enough phlegm to fill the lake out back. Now the sinuses are running like Niagara Falls. The fever comes and goes, but the aches and pains remain steady. It wouldn't be so bad except the high temperatures and humidity are upon us again.

... like a plump kitty cat doing a dance on your bladder. :-0

Not to change the topic (three days down -- eleven to go) but my cat would knead my stomach (euphemism for bladder) nearly every morning. I'd wake up havin' to go and she'd be looking me right in the eye while continuing to knead, as if to say, "I am awake. Get. Up. Now."

Or she'd be RIGHT IN MY FACE. Her whiskers would tickle me until I woke up and ... there she was, RIGHT IN MY FACE, so close her wet nose would be touching mine, "Jeez, you humans sleep too much, GET UP."

There was no POINT in waking me up, she always had food & water. Must've wanted the company. :blush:

I used to have a red tabby Manx (Froggy) who would sneak under the bedcovers and suddenly start running back and forth along my leg and back as fast as she could. I called it Tunneling , really startling if you never experienced it before.

Currently one of our cats will sneak in and bite the OLs toe and run off. Not sure why.

Generally speaking , if the dogs need out, the senior female will jump on and off the bed a few times to get my attention (she is a hundred pound rottweiler lab), I learned that if I ignore her she will grab me with one paw and roll me out of bed.

The german shepherd takes a subtler approach, she will sneak into bed and put her head on top of mine, knowing I will get hot have a fever dream and wake up in a few minutes.

So, I make it a point of putting them out for a bit before bed time and any time I wake up in the middle of the night, put them out before I hit the restroom.

AAARRRRRGHHH

Just got a stabbing pain in my left eye. My sinuses are jammed solid and I am burning up.

Maybe I need to make some gaspacho (cold soup)

Edited by Pete_C

I can barely keep my eyes open. It is about 90 degrees with humidity approaching 60% plus we have an Ozone alert. Inside my house it is 4 degrees cooler. Darn attorneys called awhile ago and wanted me to pick up some evictions and serve them plus mail copies certified. I just loved driving around downtown with all the construction going on during lunch hour while zoning out from the Robitussin and Benadryl.

I have no idea what this bug is, but I do know it is one hell of a diet and definitely reduces the use of cigarettes. I have lost seven pounds and only went through a half pack of cigarettes in the last week. In fact most of the cigarettes got about two drags on them and caused such an uncontrolled coughing that I put them out. My sinus headache and watering eyes have cleared up. Coughing up phlegm and the tiredness still remain. Naturally my phone hasn't stopped ringing due to someone wanting help for minor crap that could have waited. My answering machine is full of messages starting out "I know you are ill, but..." These people are lucky I don't drink any longer. In the old days I would have shown up and gave them a drill instructor's attitude while spewing bacteria in their faces.

I have no idea what this bug is, but I do know it is one hell of a diet and definitely reduces the use of cigarettes. I have lost seven pounds and only went through a half pack of cigarettes in the last week. In fact most of the cigarettes got about two drags on them and caused such an uncontrolled coughing that I put them out. My sinus headache and watering eyes have cleared up. Coughing up phlegm and the tiredness still remain. Naturally my phone hasn't stopped ringing due to someone wanting help for minor crap that could have waited. My answering machine is full of messages starting out "I know you are ill, but..." These people are lucky I don't drink any longer. In the old days I would have shown up and gave them a drill instructor's attitude while spewing bacteria in their faces.

I think what you have sounds worse than what is bugging me. At least I feel pretty decent half the time; although just now I have a fever, headache, neckache, and my eyes hurt.

The coughing stuff up is only for an hour or so after I wake in the morning until the mucinex and sudafed take effect.

I thought my breathing was a bit better this morning so I went to the small house I am tearing down to do more destruction. I took my 12 pound sledge to the old interior brick chimney and demolished it. I could barely breathe through my mask and then I really messed up and removed it before getting completely outside to clear air. It's been a couple of hours and I am still coughing. I think I had better stay away from that project for a few more days and not rush it.

I thought my breathing was a bit better this morning so I went to the small house I am tearing down to do more destruction. I took my 12 pound sledge to the old interior brick chimney and demolished it. I could barely breathe through my mask and then I really messed up and removed it before getting completely outside to clear air. It's been a couple of hours and I am still coughing. I think I had better stay away from that project for a few more days and not rush it.

Definitely keep on the mask and don't forget to blow the spores etc off your clothes with a compressor or even a leaf blower before you take it off. (Of course in this heat, hell just douse yourself with a hose or jump in the nearest water).

Have you tried Sambucus (Elderberry extract) for the chest ?

SwansonVitamins Sambucus

Elderberry products

I'd suggest this

If it is okay with your MD.

The name brand sambucol

notes that

Sambucol Original Syrup is a powerful natural upper respiratory health supplement. Developed by world renowned virologist Madeleine Mumcuoglu, Ph.D., Sambucol is the unique black elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.) extract used in published clinical studies.

Although I prefer Nyquil , or Mucinex ; when you can't take them due to drug interactions; elderberry wine is always a good alternative.

I can't have anything containing alcohol, otherwise my old remedy of four shots of Jack chased by two shots of Nyquil probably would have helped. Sinus and chest still congested plus I have now lost ten pounds. I have heard that this bug can last up to 3 weeks in healthy adults. At least the rains have come through and cooled this area.

... elderberry wine is always a good alternative.

Alcohol's ALWAYS a welcome suggestion. :thumbsup:

Well, yes; but I was not suggesting it for that reason. The elderberry promotes respiratory health in many ways; it is good at easing congestion and clearing the lungs.

Another item I should have brought up is Naringinin

Ever wonder why Dr Linus Paulings studies indicating Vitamin C could cure the common cold and stop many other viruses in their tracks was not duplicable by most researchers? Well it is probably since he used natural vitamin C from Citrus while others use Ascobic Acid vitamin C produced synthetically from Corn or vitamin C from Rose hips and other sources.

Recently they discovered that Vitamin C from Citrus is often contaminated with a compound called Naringinin which turns out to be the most powerful antiviral discovered. It actually inhibits the replication rate of Hepatitis B and C by 80% and reduced LDL Cholesterol production too.

( naringinin reduced the net secretion of apo B, the protein component of LDL, by inhibiting the synthesis of cellular lipids, especially cholesterol esters.)

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=WO2...mp;DISPLAY=DESC

However it may also inhibit the liver from breaking down some medications so Naringinin should not be taken without first consulting your Doctor if you are on prescription meds , to determine if any are affected by grapefruit (one of the best natural sources of naringinin) and blood levels of these meds should be tested to make sure they do not become elevated necessitating a lowered dosage.

It's easing up. Just a little sinus congestion, but nothing major. Appetite slowly working it's way back up. The chicken is on the bbq.

I made smoked veggies yesterday, but the OL insisted on boiling the chicken in Kraft Barbeque sauce instead of grilling it (got boneless skinless thighs and breasts too, what a waste).