Skype Issues With Ubuntu 64bit

Alright, yesterday, I decided I would try and give Ubuntu another shot (needed something to write about and mess with), anyway, I realize Google Talk is not an option (tried to install it with Wine - doesn't like it at all), so I installed the next best thing, Skype. I installed the skype-static-oss package, as it seems that one works better with 64bit, it works, I can make calls and talk, however, it's kind of crackly on both ends. It crackles (a little, after messing with settings I got it somewhat decent sounding) when Mandy talks and it will crackle every so often for her regardless if I'm talking or not.

My question is the following, is there any way to setup Skype with ALSA on 64bit Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) and would that improve the sound quality if I were able to do so?

Also, is there an alternative VOIP client (Jabber server, maybe?) on Linux and Windows that would work better if the above is not an option?

Thanks guys!

B

Got the sound quality much better, however, now I can't play music and be on Skype at the same time.

My mic is a USB condenser mic and my sound card is a Chaintech AV-710.

It has to be a configuration issue... the USB and sound card aren't playing nice.

B

this may help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software

also note that any SIP software "should" be able to talk to any other SIP software.

I use kphone and call up our CISCO SIP phones at work with no issues. (can't call a CISCO call-manager as that uses a proprietary connection)

Edited by iccaros