I have the little Windows update icon on my taskbar. It asks me to install an update. OK well last install of Windows I had 3 updates that wouldn't install. OK bad install of Windows, take another crack at it. OK now I have 2 of them that won't install but related to WMP. OK Update to WMP11. Well now were down to 1 update that won't install and no matter what I try it will not install and it is severely tickin me off.

Update in question:

Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)

This is on a system using Windows XP SP2 updated to SP3. I never had any prob like this outta SP2 with all the updates and apparently my Vista laptop didn't have any trouble either. I've hit this prob with 2 installs. I swear, even though this build has had the best hardware to date, it's been plagued with more software trouble than any of my previous builds.

What sucks is I don't even use WMP. I use Winamp for music and Zoom Player for most Video (.avi, mp4, .mkv, .wmv, etc.) with VLC as a back up (.mov and DVD's).

Does anyone have any clue why this won't update or know of a way to get around it? I appreciate any help. I hate havin that stupid little yellow icon in my taskbar.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows

To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:

• a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:

• a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
    Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
    b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

net start wuauserv

4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER.