What sort of editing are you looking to be able to do? Just the basic cropping and re-sizing of photos? Or are you wanting to do some effects and get into more "PhotoShopppy" type activities?

For a good, solid photo editor with great basic features but not a lot of extras bogging it down, I recommend IrfanView. There are some others out there that do more, but that one is streamlined and is a great photo viewer as well.

True, it's going to depend on how in depth you are wanting to get into the photo editing.

I've heard a lot about infranview, but I haven't personally used it. (Although I do plan on downloading and trying it sometime.)

The program I HAVE personally used and liked is GIMP.

NOTE: Both Infranview and GIMP are FREE programs. :)

Thanks B - this does work as a better place.

And thanks for mentioning the part about the programs being free Nerelda - I forgot to mention that and it's a very important case. I have used Irfanview for about a year now (ever since I heard it mentioned on Call For Help as a good photo viewer/editor). Like I said, it won't do a lot of in depth things (for that, I keep Photoshop around), but for just a quick re-sizing of photos or to create a slideshow and things like that, it's a terrific program and very easy to get the hang of.

Cropping:

Open Irfanview / FILE / OPEN

Select the pic you want to use / OPEN

Put your mouse in the top-left corner of the area you want to crop. Click, and hold the left mouse button, and drag to the bottom-right. Release the mouse button.

Now you should have a box to work with. You can "grab" the sides of this box with the left mouse button, and adjust the box to the size you need it.

In the toolbar at the top, click EDIT. there you can choose CROP SELECTION.

Hope this helps.