I listened to Steve Gison and Leo LaPorte's Security Now podcast tonight. #144 I think, from a week or two ago.

They claimed that SP3 for Windows XP was causing major problems with AMD chips. .....ie: BSOD.

Anyone know anything about this?

I have an AMD desktop and was getting ready to install SP3.

Thanks,

Joe

Update:

I just installed it. I don't see any problems yet.

Edited by irregularjoe

That was on some OEM systems (HP, Gateway & etc.) with AMD cpus that for some reason had an Intel driver installed. Plus another bug effected systems with Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboards. I can't see why they rag on MS. Rag on the damn OEMs for their sloppy ass setups.

Got An AMD Processor? Don’t Install Service Pack 3!

According to Johansson, there appears to be two separate issues. One affects only AMD-equipped PCs sold by Hewlett-Packard Co. “The problem is that HP, apparently along with other OEMs, deploys the same image to Intel-based computers that they do to AMD-based computers,” said Johansson. “Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same, all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys provides the same functionality.”
Johansson also spelled out workarounds for both problems on his blog. The HP issue can be solved by disabling the intelppm.sys driver, while the second fix requires the user to plug in a USB flash drive before booting.

I got to experience it first hand. I got lucky, I was able to still boot in safe mode to correct the problem. If I get anymore hp/amd machines, I think I will do a preemptive fix and remove the registry entry that loads the intel driver before installing sp3.

Thanks for the replies.

My desktop is a locally built machine with an AMD chip. So I guess that I'm not affected. Everything seems to be OK. I'm in the second day of the SP3 install.

Joe