I have D/L and installed sp3 on my Dell Millennia and so far have had no problems. I had also had IE7 installed and working before I D/L SP3.

Back in March I tried to D/L IE7 on my son's Compaq Presario but it would not open and I could never find the reason why, so I just left IE6 on his computer.

My question is this.

If IE7 won't work on his computer and I D/L SP3, will he still be able to use IE6 since it won't let you revert back to IE6?

Or should I forget about SP3 for now?

Thanks

Edited by tman70

I would ignore SP3 for now and just keep downloading the critical updates. Maybe later you could slipstream SP3 with your XP CD and try a fresh install on the Compaq after backing up all the important stuff. I am waiting for any bug reports before I do a slipstream and fresh install.

I would ignore SP3 for now and just keep downloading the critical updates. Maybe later you could slipstream SP3 with your XP CD and try a fresh install on the Compaq after backing up all the important stuff. I am waiting for any bug reports before I do a slipstream and fresh install.

Thanks TT_75.

I'll wait until later on his computer.

But I wonder what I'll do if IE7 still won't connect after D/Loading SP3?

I'm with Terrorist as far as ignoring SP3 until MS forces us to download it.

There is another thread 'round here where I was asking about the very same thing and I think the concensis was that SP3 included IE7 and there was "no goin' back" unless you removed SP3. My concern is that I'm used to and like IE6 (IE7 just has a star on the toolbar where IE6 has a star AND "favorites" next to the star--I need WORDS, not symbols! I forget what symbols mean, I'm old and stupid. :) And that tabbed browsing thing just bugs me)

And I was assured as long as I kept installing the critical updates, I was safe, security wise. SP3 just added a little unneeded extra "fluff" (like IE7!)

Of course, waiting until most of the bugs are worked out is a bonus!

Liz

Once you upgrade to SP3 if you are running IE7. You will not be able to revert back to IE6.

The only two ways to revert back to IE6. One is to be running IE6 when you upgrade,

Or remove SP3, revert back to IE6, reinstall SP3, and then upgrade to IE7.

If you have IE6 and upgrade to SP3, then upgrade to IE7. You still Have the option to down-grade back to IE6. But if you have IE7 and install SP3. It removes any option or settings to revert back to IE6.... And removing SP3 is the only cure....

Once you upgrade to SP3 if you are running IE7. You will not be able to revert back to IE6.

The only two ways to revert back to IE6. One is to be running IE6 when you upgrade,

Or remove SP3, revert back to IE6, reinstall SP3, and then upgrade to IE7.

If you have IE6 and upgrade to SP3, then upgrade to IE7. You still Have the option to down-grade back to IE6. But if you have IE7 and install SP3. It removes any option or settings to revert back to IE6.... And removing SP3 is the only cure....

That is as I read it. Thanks for the confirmation.

Just ran a test on my son's Compaq Presario using a cloned spare HD.

IE6 works fine but is not listed in Add/Remove.

IE7 was hidden in updates to keep from being reminded to D/L.

D/L SP3 and rebooted computer. After reboot it showed IE6.

Installed IE7 and rebooted but IE7 still would not connect to internet.

Add/Remove showed IE7 and was able to remove it and go back to IE6.

So if you do have IE6 running and install SP3 you can uninstall IE7 and go back to IE6.

I am still going to wait on his computer before I install SP3.

Hope this helps someone.