What's The Consensus On Vista?......

I just set up a new laptop with Vista and also re-installed Vista on another laptop.

Is it me or is this kind of a dumbed down operating system?

It's my first real experience with Vista.

I think I like XP a lot better.

What's the consensus here at BT?

If I can sneak it by my wife, I'm going to build a new box by the end of the year and I'll break down and put Vista on it. Trouble is deciding which version

Edited by garmanma

I make myself use it for experience. If I was not in the my business and needing to know how to work with it, I would use XP or Linux on my laptop. One thing that drives me crazy is extracting files from a zip folder. It takes forever. On XP it is a 5 second job, where on Vista it seems to take about 90 seconds. I personally don't see any benefits to using it. I mainly use an OS for running programs, and XP does that great.

If I can sneak it by my wife, I'm going to build a new box by the end of the year and I'll break down and put Vista on it. Trouble is deciding which version

One big plus the Vista Ultimate has is it allows you to clone(backup) your whole OS. Other then that feature, it is probably not worth spending the extra money more then the cost of home premium.

I make myself use it for experience. If I was not in the my business and needing to know how to work with it, I would use XP or Linux on my laptop. One thing that drives me crazy is extracting files from a zip folder. On XP it is a 5 second job, where on Vista it seems to take about 90 seconds. I personally don't see any benefits to using it. I mainly use an OS for running programs, and XP does that great.

"One thing that drives me crazy is extracting files from a zip folder. It takes forever."

That happened to me today. I tried to unzip an application that I had on a CD. It just spun and spun forever, not opening. I restarted a few times, checked the CD, etc. I thought there was a problem with either the CD or the DVD-CDRW drive. But then it finally opened with the "do you want to allow this program..... yada yada yada".

It finally opened.

Edited by irregularjoe