It's Power Outage Season Again!

... So, let's keep a running total:

Tuesday 4/15: Momentary (1)

Wednesday 4/16: Slightly more than an hour (1)

Tuesday 5/7: One hour (1) (Didn't make it one month ... :()

Sometime after midnight on Saturday 6/28: A few minutes (I reckon, as I wasn't home).

Made it over a month!

Around 5 or 6 pm on 7/2: about 35 minutes (lasted four days this time!).

Around 5 pm on 7/21: about 8 minutes (two-and-a-half weeks of uninterrupted power!).

Two weeks of continuous electricity!

Around 5pm (I see a pattern) on 9/12: about ten minutes.

Today, 9/15, one momentary and one just long enough to screw everything up.

Another one: 9/16 ~12:15 pm for about fifteen minutes. Didn't even make it one day this time.

• 1 month later...
... So, let's keep a running total:

Tuesday 4/15: Momentary (1)

Wednesday 4/16: Slightly more than an hour (1)

Tuesday 5/7: One hour (1) (Didn't make it one month ... :()

Sometime after midnight on Saturday 6/28: A few minutes (I reckon, as I wasn't home).

Made it over a month!

Around 5 or 6 pm on 7/2: about 35 minutes (lasted four days this time!).

Around 5 pm on 7/21: about 8 minutes (two-and-a-half weeks of uninterrupted power!).

Two weeks of continuous electricity!

Around 5pm (I see a pattern) on 9/12: about ten minutes.

Today, 9/15, one momentary and one just long enough to screw everything up.

Another one: 9/16 ~12:15 pm for about fifteen minutes. Didn't even make it one day this time.

11/11 ~4pm to 5pm. Really flickered and fluttered for the first five minutes (thank goodness nothing got screwed up).

That's two months of continuous service! Give 'em a pay raise. <_<

• 2 months later...

Had a hard time finding this thread. I thought the title was "It's Storm Season again"

Oh well, It is Storm Season again and early this year.

We had some big storms move through Tuesday night. They had a tornado twenty miles northwest of here; just a little one (F1) .

We just had straight line winds in advance of the storms; and a good deal of thunder , lightning , and rain.

It knocked out the power even before the storm hit; and so many different places lost power that we had to wait two hours before they got the repair crew out to our area. Then it took them less than fifteen minutes to get everything back on . They prioritize based on how many they can restore power to in a given fix.

Off to a start this early ; kind of makes you wonder what spring has in store.

Well after two several day outages last year, and us buying a generator, line maintenance has begun in earnest. They are performing the most serious pruning I've seen in over 30 years. They're taking out whole trees, clearing in the woods along the river with a big wheeled "crawler", and really have a huge amount of equipment in the area. Shucks, they're even relocating transformers from easements closer to road access.

*Sigh, we won't be needing that generator for a long time now.

Like my Dad said when he bought his generator, "its insurance--now the power will never go out!" (and come to think of it, I don't think it ever did go out until they moved to town!)

Power outages....shhhhhhhh.....so far, even with the heavy snow we've had, we haven't lost power this winter, yet.

Liz

... Off to a start this early ; kind of makes you wonder what spring has in store.

Yeah, with all the storms movin' throughout the country, it doesn't bode well.

Well after two several day outages last year, and us buying a generator, line maintenance has begun in earnest. They are performing the most serious pruning I've seen in over 30 years. They're taking out whole trees, clearing in the woods along the river with a big wheeled "crawler", and really have a huge amount of equipment in the area. Shucks, they're even relocating transformers from easements closer to road access.

In addition to what Liz said, hey, since YOU bought the generator, YOU get to take credit for the Karma that is going to keep your power on from now on. Everybody around you thanks you for your generosity. :D

I wonder if they're doing all that work because they EXPECT some serious weather this year? Or just catchin' up? Or maybe they got their stimulus package early?

Like my Dad said when he bought his generator, "its insurance--now the power will never go out!" (and come to think of it, I don't think it ever did go out until they moved to town!)

Power outages....shhhhhhhh.....so far, even with the heavy snow we've had, we haven't lost power this winter, yet.

Liz

That's like the "car wash" rule, isn't it? Get your car washed if you want rain? Buy a generator if you want the power to stop going out!

And, on Friday the 13th of all days, you jinx yourself by saying you haven't lost power yet?!?!? Quick! Buy a generator!

-----

Edited by JDoors

I'm not sure WHAT we're gonna get. The weather-folk say, "Eh, an inch or two of snow, no biggee." Then I look at the radar, and it looks like a disaster in the making.

I realize they can set the parameters for what's shown on the radar but ... It looks like a big one to me, it looks like the center will pass right over me, AND it looks like it's one of those ones where the length of the storm leaves it overhead for a long time.

Should I trust the weather-folk? :unsure:

A few days ago they said that the record low occurred on that day in 1899 when it was 8 below zer0 (-8 F) in Dallas with two feet of snow on the ground.

All I have to say about that is hurray for global warming. Given what happens when we have a dusting of snow or a little ice , sleet or even a good rain I doubt this city could function with two feet of snow. And I definitely do not want to experience 8 below again; did that enough as a kid and in the army.

A few days ago they said that the record low occurred on that day in 1899 when it was 8 below zer0 (-8 F) in Dallas with two feet of snow on the ground.

All I have to say about that is hurray for global warming. Given what happens when we have a dusting of snow or a little ice , sleet or even a good rain I doubt this city could function with two feet of snow. And I definitely do not want to experience 8 below again; did that enough as a kid and in the army.

Hmmm.....compared to what I have I hope it's warm in Dallas next Saturday when I arrive there.... :rolleyes:

Holy cow! In Dallas? I wonder what Dallas was like in 1899 ...

Re: Global Warming. Shhh! Don't let Marty hear you. Australia's drier than it's been in a Century, and, though the drought a hundred years ago couldn't have been caused by global warming, THIS TIME, it is.

Update on my weather: The weather-folk were exactly right. An inch of snow, no more. :blush: