I'm experiencing problems with my network recently while using uTorrent in combination with software firewalls. I'm gonna go ahead an list my current setup.

Windows XP Home SP2

nVidia nForce Network Adapter (nForce590 SLi on an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition)

Belkin F5D7230-4 54g Wireless Router (hardwired on the main rig, wireless on the laptop and downstairs desktop)

COMODO Firewall Pro

1 RJ45 Ethernet cable from the router going into Ethernet port #1

Ethernet port #2 disabled

Integrated Realtek 8187 Wireless adapter disabled.

I used to use Kerio firewall before Sunbelt changed the name to Sunbelt Personal Firewall on my old computer. I pretty much never had an issue except once in a blue moon. Usually changing ports in uTorrent would remedy that (I have it set to for random ports on each start up). On the new rig I installed Sunbelt Personal Firewall but had extreme issues with things on a lot of websites loading wrong and getting bad request errors. I turned it off and didn't have issues so I downloade COMODO to replace it. Well now my internet works fine except when using uTorrent. It seems 9 times outta 10, my internet is unusable with uTorrent AND COMODO going at the same time (cannot connect to server errors). If I disable COMODO with uTorrent going, my internet is perfectly usable, not the fastest but usable.

As long as only one goes, my internet works. But if both are going, it's almost impossible to use the internet. It appears to be the same on my other systems. I figured if the firewall was stopping me from connecting on my desktop, I should be able to use the internet on my laptop. Well apparently I was wrong cause earlier I tried to use my laptop (wireless, Windows Vista built in Firewall) and couldn't get anything to load. I went back upstairs to my main rig and tried to open a site. Nothing. Disabled COMODO, everything loads fine.

OK, so does anyone have any clue on how I can use my internet with both COMODO and uTorrent going or do ya'll think I should just try another firewall? Also, since my motherboard has 2 usable Ethernet ports, would I benefit from having both connected to my router? Also, should I try attaching the one network cable to the second Ethernet port and disable the the first and see if there is a difference?

* Just gonna add, it works with both going if I'm seeding but if I'm downloading, no internet unless COMODO is off. I just tested this. I have one file seeding (at only 5Kbps) with COMODO on and it works fine. Also did another test. I set the upload to unlimited on this file and now it's seeding around 40-50Kbps and my internet still works albeit a little slower.

**Another test. Started another torrent for a test. This time websites loaded but very slowly. Disabled COMODO, websites loaded faster.

Thanks for any help. This is really annoying me.

Edited by Honda_Boy

don't know if this has to do with it or if it finally straightened itself out (crappy ISP) but I set my uTorrent to encrypt my connection and it seems to be working correctly now. I will be running some other tests too to make sure.

I have always had problems with torrents and my ISP. I have Comcast so they don't play nice to torrents. It's sad really. If I want a Linux Distro Comcast says "no" and connects to cap me. I know of some Internet Service providers or even make your router slow down the torrents or even make your routers have a hissy fit and do some weird stuff to your network.

don't know if this has to do with it or if it finally straightened itself out (crappy ISP) but I set my uTorrent to encrypt my connection and it seems to be working correctly now. I will be running some other tests too to make sure.

That is usually a sign that your ISP is monitoring BitTorrent traffic and will throttle you down if they recognize it. Read the uTorrent FAQ for an idea of what encryption does.

Have you followed the uTorrent Connection Setup Guide?

You may want to try setting up a static LAN IP with your PC so that its IP does not change every time the lease time from the router expires. Secondly, try using a single port for use with uTorrent and forwarding that port in your software firewall and router. You wouldn't also be using the Windows XP Firewall at the same time as Comodo, would you? Finally, try adjusting your speed caps and reducing the "Global maximum number of connections" from within uTorrent. Some routers lock up when more than a certain amount is used.

none of this happened until I started using Comodo so it ain't my ISP (local Power company). The Torrent speeds were still fine just my internet ran like crap. But now it works fine after turning uTorrent's encryption on.