Windows 7 Performance Information

Rebuttal from Paul Thurrott. (Insert joke about not knowing what to think because random bloggers and Thurrott are equally credible.)

If Microsoft actually did what that article describes, I'd drop Linux in a heartbeat.

Edited by jcl

Color me skeptical.

Far as I know, no one even remotely associated with Microsoft has said anything like that. And with the firestorm over Vista's compatibility issues how can they even think of obsoleting ... EVERYTHING?

Wait ... That's why they're so into VM maybe? A way around this?

-----

Edited by JDoors
Color me skeptical.

Far as I know, no one even remotely associated with Microsoft has said anything like that. And with the firestorm over Vista's compatibility issues how can they even think of obsoleting ... EVERYTHING?

Wait ... That's why they're so into VM maybe? A way around this?

Indeed. NT already uses virtualization extensively. There's NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) for DOS-compatibility, WoW (Windows-on-Windows) for 16-bit Windows compatibility, WoW64 for 32-bit Windows compatibility on 64-bit Windows, the old POSIX and OS/2 subsystems for Unix and OS/2 compatibility, Hyper-V, Virtualization Server, etc.

It seems like the tricky part of doing what the article describes would be extracting the kernel-mode part of the Win32 subsystem and moving it to userspace.

LMAO!! Here's someones guess on the specs you'll need for Winders 7:

4 Core CPU, 16GB Ram, 200GB flash, stereoscopic monitor with two 1GB graphics cards, HD-DVD, keyboard, moose, internet access, credit card number and rectal scanner to confirm user is licensed.
LMAO!! Here's someones guess on the specs you'll need for Winders 7:
4 Core CPU, 16GB Ram, 200GB flash, stereoscopic monitor with two 1GB graphics cards, HD-DVD, keyboard, moose, internet access, credit card number and rectal scanner to confirm user is licensed.

OK, I think I can get hold of everything but the MOOSE and RECTAL SCANNER.

But will the average consumer go for Windows 7s platform.

Keep in mind that Win7 is going to be a fully modular OS. Even more so then Vista.

Vista is just the kick-off of modular systems. Meaning you buy the basic system. Then add the upgrades you want.

For Vista. If you want security, you choose the business edition. If you want the full AERO desktop and Media Center, you choose Premium. If you want the basic PC for e-mail and surfing the net. There is the Basic Edition. If you want it all there is Ultimate.

And by buying a lesser version. Using the same disk you could upgrade to a better version.

Windows 7 is even going to be more modular in it's prime.

In the e-mails from MS I get through TechNet, Connect and MSDN. Right now some of the speculation is the big possibility of releasing to everyone the core system. And everything you will want will then be added in the form of module add-ons. If you want internet and e-mail applications. You will need to buy a module. If you want Media Center, another module to buy. How about all the fancy desktop goodies. Another module to buy.

But this kind of system works. We use something like this in the gaming industry called the OASIS System. We use it to monitor the machines, do the accounting, doing the players club, support in PR, and many other aspects. You buy the core of the system, then add what you want from there.

I'm sure it will most likely sell more like Vista when it is ready. But this looks is now going to be the future of Microsoft Systems.

Look at all the flak Vista is getting over it's release in so many flavors. If Win7 is even more broken up into a core system with modules to add to get it the way you want. Is that going to chase off the average user.

Time will tell.

... Look at all the flak Vista is getting over it's release in so many flavors. If Win7 is even more broken up into a core system with modules to add to get it the way you want. Is that going to chase off the average user.

Time will tell.

Hopefully they'll have learned from Vista's mistakes, like being more specific than "Vista Capable." I imagine with such a wide range of capabilities this will be even more important.