Hello, i'm looking for some info. on BIOS setting's to allow the Desktop to boot quicker. As it now stand's on Boot I get all the MB, Drive, and alot of other info. that is nice but don't need on Boot-UP.

Sys. Win XP-PRO, 2.4GB cpu, 512MB pc2100, 60GB 8MB 7200 HDD, DVDROM,FDD, A-Open MB, AMI BIOS (not sure of the version right now) Yeah and SP-2.

Would appreciate your response & suggestion's.

jimmy

Hi, I'm not refering to start-up program's. I'm talking about the" Black" screen you get at the initial Boot of the computer , showing - Bios , video card , PCI device's , boot devices, etc. etc. I want to Boot directly to the OS, but don't know which item's in the BIOS determine this ? jimmy

"Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system."

that is from another site. BootVis is not for "end users" such as most of us.

do not download/install BootVis. :blink:

Bootvis is a tool for graphing what your start sequence is doing.

Being able to see what runs when (and how long it takes) helps deciding how to speed things up.

Just don't use its built-in boot optimizer, XP's native reorganizer does things better.

-------------------------

Somewhere in the BIOS Setup there should be a place to disable memory checking at Boot time.

Almost all BIOS routines have some variation on this.

-------------------------

Another thought, take a look at MSCONFIG (Start, Run, msconfig).

Look at all the tabs to make sure they're set for normal, not some diagnostic, boot.

Edited by CurlingSteve

Hi jimmyd

I think there is some confusion here as to what is happening before and during bootup.

The BIOS screen you refer to is something you cannot change. The process before booting up requires that the BIOS initialize and test all the hardware in your machine required for the boot process and computer to function. This is what you see on that screen, you may set it on some machines to not show this screen but the process itself must still run.

As CurlingSteve said tho, you can set it to not memory test but I don't advise it for the seconds you'll save. You may find out you have a memory problem the hard way and lose something you're working on later.

By the time the BIOS has finished running it's functions, Windows has booted and then it begins processing the win.ini and sys.ini files, drivers load, processes load and loads any startup programs required, this is where you save the time if needed. By cuttinig out unneeded processes and startups you can boot a few seconds faster, but if your Loading process is very slow it could be due to a hanging driver, that is where a program like BootVis can help.

BootVis can determine if a driver or something else is not loading in a timely fashion but you need to be able to understand it. It is a tool more for developers rather than end-users.

Many folks think that the boot process is up until you have a desktop visible but in reality Windows has long since finished booting and is just loading things up now. Again, this is where the time is saved by cutting out unneeded loadups.

XP in an optimal state should have a working desktop in 30 to 40 seconds but if a hanging driver is slowing things down then there is a way to troubleshoot it to determine what driver is failing...(another post entirely).

Dave

Chappy, thank you for your input. I only vaguely knew what was actually occuring during a Boot process.

I have a cold Boot time (pwr. on to fully ready Desktop) of 65/70 sec. ( XP-PRO SP2) This is by no mean's intolerable, and there doesn't appear to be any waiting or lapse of activity during Boot. My inquary is , I don't really need to see two screen's ( pgs.? ) of data on every Boot-UP.

It's very good info. and make's you aware of your sys. parameter's but just didn't want to display it every time, if it can be made to not appear. I wouldn't attempt to delete it (it's part of the natural start-up process).

As a comparison (prob. unfair) my ThinkPad R-40 ( 1.8GB, 512MB, XP-PRO SP2) several more programs running on start-up, has a cold Boot time of 40/45 sec.

and there is no display of sys. parameter's. Ofcourse there are many sys. difference between the two unit's.

Hope I've done a better job of stating it this time. Thank's again for your input.

jimmy