Truckers Strike

Pointless, but if it makes 'em feel a little better, makes 'em feel like they have SOME control over the situation, eh. Why not.

They'd save a ton o' money if they just stuck to the speed limit. (Yeah, I know, faster equals more jobs, more pay.)

My wife dispatches and runs Accounts Receivable for a trucking company that deals with shipping containers. The cost of fuel is killing them. Plus they have to stop in every state and top-off or pay a ridicules fuel tax surcharge

My wife dispatches and runs Accounts Receivable for a trucking company that deals with shipping containers. The cost of fuel is killing them. Plus they have to stop in every state and top-off or pay a ridicules fuel tax surcharge

What's that? You mean there are government policies that increase their fuel costs? No way!

Loved the snippet from the hearings:

Government Nannys: "Considering your record profits, don't you think you could lower the cost of gas?"

Evil Corporate Representatives: " -----silence-----"

Ha!

All the sound bites from the ECR's sounded SO lame. "Oh woe is us (yeah, us po' folk have ZERO sympathy), taxes are high (whaddabout that 18 million, or is it billion , dollar tax break you guys get?), our costs are high (and yet you're making money hand over fist -- must not be TOO high!), we can't drill in the U.S. (doesn't seem to be hurtin' your profits any!), over the last five years blah, blah, blah (yeah, that's it, make sure you are VERY specific about a particular time period that may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with the current situation), we need the high profit years to get us through the lows (Huh? When did they have a low period? That is, a low period that wasn't caused by fiddling with statistics), etc."

Don't get me wrong, make money guys, it's the American way, but don't rub it in our faces with a bunch of baloney.

Exxon: We only earned 40 Billion last year and funded an university study on climate change for $100 Million.

Huh? What does climate change have to do with the price of gas? The sick thing is the shareholders aren't seeing that much profit in the stocks...

Good on the truckers. The big increases in the grocery stores are mostly transportation related. Someone needs a break and I'll give it to the truckers. The soccer mom's can cut a trip or two to lower their fuel bills. Heh heh, or maybe pull a few cylinders outta the SUV...

i can haz rail freight?

That thought crossed my mind too but of course rail relies on diesel as much as trucking, so there's that, plus we're addicted to the flexibility and point-to-point delivery trucks make possible, and of course trucks will still be needed to transfer freight from rail depots to its final destination.

Where's our quantum transporter? I mean, it's the 21st Century for cryin' out loud! Somebody needs to hold Star Trek responsible for promises made but not kept!

Our family owns a trucking company.

We didn't shut down. Because we need to make a living and all.

but most companies around here decided to run 45 mph for the duration of the trip.

It has a point. The fuel prices have skyrocketed, and the freight rates have not changed at all.

It's becoming harder and harder every day to operate a business like this and put food on the table.

... fuel prices have skyrocketed, and the freight rates have not changed at all. ...

But ... we were told consumer prices are skyrocketing because of the increase in transportation costs. How can that be if you're not passing on your higher costs in the first place? Are they just jacking up the prices of consumer goods to take advantage of us? Naw! That'd make them as bad as gas stations that raise prices before their costs actually go up.

I'm sure that since the price of fuel isn't coming down anytime soon they'll be enough industry-wide pressure to get a higher rate. Sooner rather than later, huh?