I just checked my email today and got a bunch of things from my ISP's firewall saying that it blocked outgoing mail from me that was stuff I didn't do. It was like some crap for watches and what not. How do I fix this?

Thank you for any help.

Edited by Honda_Boy

In the meantime, maybe call your ISP and see if they can temporarily disable your email? Or would that mess up the hijack process? I wouldn't think so since that would be done on their server?

Liz

I can't get my ISP until tomorrow. But how could this happen exactly? Does this mean someone has my password to my account? I ran spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and AVG scans and only Spybot S&D picked anything up but it wasn't anything major. Plus I'm firewalled and use Thunderbird to check it. I have my password to it saved in Thunderbird though.

You don't suppose someone could have gained access to my account at school do you. I checked my email through Thunderbird on the wireless network at school.

Many spammers can use auto-generated email addresses. It could be just your luck that they used yours. It isn't difficult for them to come up with say [email protected].

It is also possible someone did capture your email information through an unsecured wireless connection.

The best bet is to do a HJT scan and post it in the malware section just to be sure you weren't compromised. If you are clean you may need to change your email address.

yeah, I'm callin my ISP tomorrow and am going to ask them to shut it off and make me a new one. I've already switched all my forum accounts over to my Gmail account. I've never even gotten spam in that account before. Plus I changed my password to a far longer one in Gmail that's pretty friggin hard for people to figure out if you ask me. It's easy for me to remember. And if I get any more crap, I have an uber end all password that's all numbers. It's a 12 digit number that I memorized years ago for something and never forgot it.

oh and

HijackThis Thread

Edited by Honda_Boy

I fixed it. Called my ISP, told em to delete my old address and start a new one. Worked like a charm. My password on my new account is all numbers. 12 digits that I can easily remember yet is very hard to figure out.

My password on my new account is all numbers.

Now that's not very secure...

Ya, only 12 numbers. Heck that will only take a couple of weeks to figure out...

Let's see 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3

Am I getting close yet. :lol:

My password on my new account is all numbers.

Now that's not very secure...

Ya, only 12 numbers. Heck that will only take a couple of weeks to figure out...

Let's see 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3

Am I getting close yet. :lol:

Tools which use rainbow tables are frighteningly quick. One specific tool cracked Fgpyyih804423 in 160 seconds. Thats Upper and Lower case, and numbers.. and it's 13 characters.

While the likelihood of getting hit with a rainbow-table email crack is very low, something being out there that can do it is almost certain.

well my old password was 7 characters with only one of them being a number. This new on is pretty difficult for someone to just try and guess at I guess. I put it into to Thunderbird in the password manager to see what it thought. It had a pretty high rating in security. Far more secure than any previous password I've used for anything.

well my old password was 7 characters with only one of them being a number. This new on is pretty difficult for someone to just try and guess at I guess. I put it into to Thunderbird in the password manager to see what it thought. It had a pretty high rating in security. Far more secure than any previous password I've used for anything.

7 case-sensitive alphanumeric characters ~= 42 bits.

12 numeric characters ~= 40 bits.