Mutlitasking - Good For Vista?

I can't sell my spare copy of Vista for the price I want, so once again Im considering using it.

PC: 2.6Ghz P4; 2gigs Ram

How well will vista handle multitasking (Photoshop+Dreamweaver+several browers+winamp) & multiple monitors with these fairly old system specs? Is this even plausible?

I see no reason you'd have any problems with your system specs. I run 3 Gigs of ram and do allot of different things at once. Even play some damn good newest game demos. (I want to see what Vista can handle) So far all but one game only I had to use the compatibility wizard with, and it ran great then.

You never mentioned your graphic card, That might be the only slow link. But if your not watching internet HDTV or playing the latest and greatest games. Then you should be fine.

I see no reason you'd have any problems with your system specs. I run 3 Gigs of ram and do allot of different things at once. Even play some damn good newest game demos. (I want to see what Vista can handle) So far all but one game only I had to use the compatibility wizard with, and it ran great then.

You never mentioned your graphic card, That might be the only slow link. But if your not watching internet HDTV or playing the latest and greatest games. Then you should be fine.

Thanks Jsky,

What CPU & video card do you have?

Ive got all old(ish) ATI 9800XT. I think it should be alright? I really dont keep up with these things anymore...

At present vista is a big problem , one day i was installing a drive test software in vista , and vista showed that software as virus .

May I ask why you say this? I used to think the same way, but after SP1 came out I noticed the vista computers I use seem to be quicker. Click a folder/browser and they open up immediatly. I REALLY like that. Ive never seen XP do that no matter what kind of specs the PC had.

My concern is, the Vista computers that Ive used all had the AMD 64bit dual cores. However, Ive also heard that Vista values ram OVER CPU... true?

Thanks Jsky,

What CPU & video card do you have?

Ive got all old(ish) ATI 9800XT. I think it should be alright? I really dont keep up with these things anymore...

I run a overclocked AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ with Vista 64bit.

And up to a month ago I ran a GeForce 6600, which ran everything on Vista just fine. I had no problems running the AERO Desktop and all the goodies.

But I started to play the latest and greatest game demos. And a couple just did not like the 6600 at all. And, I really wanted to see the difference between DX9 and DX10. Some of the latest game demos give you a choice between DX9 and DX10 downloads. So I poped in at newegg and picked up a nice but not to expensive GeForce 8600 so I could run DX10.

Yes. There is a difference between DX9 and DX10 when you try the different games types.

• 2 weeks later...