Ie7 Will Not Open After Install

I downloaded IE7 on my son's Compaq Presario and I get this error message:

(Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage)

I ran the diagnostic scan and got this:

(Last diagnostic run time: 03/25/08 19:38:49 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.

info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com. )

On my computer using same modem and router my IE7 works fine.

Updated and ran all scans. Still same message.

I uninstalled IE7 and IE6 works fine. I then reinstalled IE7 and rebooted twice and it still won't show web page.

I even set the security to medium low in Internet Options and still get error message.

I went to this web site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431) and tried each of the methods and still get the error message.

I have been all day on it so what else can I try?

Thanks

What happens if you bypass your router and direct connect using the modem.

I never thought to try that. I'll try it tomorrow when he is at work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried what you suggested and still get error message (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage).

Do you by chance have a download accelerator or speed optimizer installed. That will stop IE7 from connecting. You will have to remove them.

Do you by chance have a download accelerator or speed optimizer installed. That will stop IE7 from connecting. You will have to remove them.

We are on cable internet so there is neither of those in the system.

I have been looking for anything that pertains to Norton or Smantec that was left over from earlier uninstalls.

When I find anything I remove it and reboot, but still can't get IE7 to open.

I am removing programs that are not in use to see if that might be the problem.

I don't think it is, as I tried to open IE7 in safe mode and it still would not open.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Try these steps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

Amongst the steps, try the no add ons feature

click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

To ensure it is not a toolbar, or malware causing this problem.

Since IE6 works you know that it is not your computer or modem, but something which affects IE7 differently than IE6

Try these steps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

Amongst the steps, try the no add ons feature

click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

To ensure it is not a toolbar, or malware causing this problem.

Since IE6 works you know that it is not your computer or modem, but something which affects IE7 differently than IE6

Hi Pete. Thanks for the input.

Before I started this thread I first tried the support from microsoft page and started with the first method and worked my thru all 12 or 13 methods,rebooting after each one, and nothing worked.

I had already tried the "No Add-ons" and it did not work either.

I agree with you it has to be a program or something he has downloaded, that I have yet to find, that is the problem. I am now reinstalling IE7 to try something else. If it does not work again I am going to use his backup HD that I cloned several weeks ago and see if IE7 will work on it.

If it does I can then compare what is on each one to see if I can find the problem.

Thanks again.

Now you know.... IE7 has little features that help protect you from the dark and seedier side of the net....

Just what is that homepage you are trying to get to..... :rolleyes:

Now you know.... IE7 has little features that help protect you from the dark and seedier side of the net....

Just what is that homepage you are trying to get to..... :rolleyes:

IE7 is going to see MY DARK SIDE if it doesn't start cooperating!

WHOA!!---Getting mad never solved a problem and when you go beating on an inanimate object, You only end up hurting yourself.

Tomorrow I will clone the other H/D and then remove all the programs and browsers(except IE6).

IE7 should install and open to the internet. I'll then add programs until I find the one causing the problem.

This all I can think to do at this time.

Have you run Malware and Spyware programs on the system to see if it finds any? Might try getting rid of any of those before installing IE7. Might even run the Anti Virus program also.

Yes--- that was the first thing I did. I updated everything and ran them first. Then started on the step by step procedure.

Right now I am removing a program at a time and rebooting to see if I can find the problem.

When you install IE7 and try to run it. What is the web site you are trying to access? After you get the message try typing in Yahoo.com in the address field and see if it will load. If you go to Tools/Internet options it will tell you what the home page is. Try another site then the one in that field. Also your Firewall might be blocking the other site.

Edited by lefty1953

OK---I have removed programs from the cloned drive and rebooted after each removal but it still won't work.

I have even uninstalled IE7 after every third program removal and reinstalled but to no avail.

This is all that is left in ADD/REMOVE:

ABBY Fine Reader 5.0 Sprint

Agere System PCI Software

Compaq Connections (unable to uninstall)

Java

JKDefrag

Legacy

MGI photosuite

Mozilla FireFox

Nivida Display driver

Nivida Ethernet Driver

Nivida Gart Driver

Startup Monitor

Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893503)

Windows IE7

Windows xpsp2

Wordweb

I don't think there is anything left to remove.

I am wondering if he could have a corrupted file in xp.

Could I use my xp cd to run a check or repair?

If so how do I do it?

Your answer is right there. Mozilla Fire Fox does not allow IE7 to work on my PC either. Uninstall Mozilla then install IE7. Then maybe later try installing Mozilla.

Edited by lefty1953

The only thing I can think of is you got a bad download of IE7. Might delete it and try downloading it again. It only takes a single glitch in a download to mess things up. Where did you download from?

The only thing I can think of is you got a bad download of IE7. Might delete it and try downloading it again. It only takes a single glitch in a download to mess things up. Where did you download from?

I agree, if I had only downloaded it one time. I have D/L it from Microsoft updates more time than I can count now. I reboot twice before trying to open and reboot twice after each uninstall.

I have just now cloned the HD and then uninstalled IE7 and then went to the restore partition and did a system restore.

After reboot I tried IE and it would not connect. Firefox will connect.

I have spent some time getting rid of HP's junk so I can work on it. Now to find why IE won't connect.

Try uninstalling Windows Update "kb942615". Now see If you can then use IE7.

There have been reported problems I found searching with this update. But the boys at MS think all those posting it are crazy, and that it's some form of melware infecting IE6 that's not compatible with IE7. They insist it's not in the browser or the update.

It is a security fix for SP2. SP3 might solve this problem.