Yep, hubby's PS burned up yesterday, *again. This is the second one in 3 years. ?!?? Just wondering if there may be an underlying problem, as my ole Dell

is over 7 years old without a problem.

I don't know details, but his machine is a "bare bones" build from Tiger Direct. The PS that came with the case was pitifully under built. (average size, but

small componants inside) The replacement was a substantial difference, with some weight and size to it. The first one just failed, stopped working. The second, woke me up at 4am smelling like a skunk. If fact, I thought BOZO the boxerdawg did get skunked in the night. The computer stopped running about noon and the PS was VERY hot.

It's no big thing, but I really wonder if something is wrong with the mother board or something else to cause PS failures like this.

Glad you caught it before it could do some real damage. Even if you clean out your computer, chances are there's still a bunch of lint inside the power supply. They do go bad. There's not a lot inside the computer could cause it.

Mark

Yeah, it was kinda burning rubber, plastic, electrical.... VERY close to a skunk smell. I know, Bozo got skunked a few springs ago. Pheew! Although, he has promised never to do that again. He sure didn't like the tomato juice bath and several dips in the icy cold river at the park... No way was I gonna bathe him in the house!

Yep, hubby's PS burned up yesterday, *again. This is the second one in 3 years. ?!?? Just wondering if there may be an underlying problem, as my ole Dell

is over 7 years old without a problem.

I don't know details, but his machine is a "bare bones" build from Tiger Direct. The PS that came with the case was pitifully under built. (average size, but

small componants inside) The replacement was a substantial difference, with some weight and size to it. The first one just failed, stopped working. The second, woke me up at 4am smelling like a skunk. If fact, I thought BOZO the boxerdawg did get skunked in the night. The computer stopped running about noon and the PS was VERY hot.

It's no big thing, but I really wonder if something is wrong with the mother board or something else to cause PS failures like this.

Skunk was probably hot rubber.

My first question is does this computer have a UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation? If not, I would suspect power fluctuations when branches hit lines in a winter storm. Did you have one recently?

The other thought would be a pinched or shorted wire inside the case or shorted motherboard or just to many things drawing power. Do you have lots of lights, fans etc?