(update) Possible Video Card Upgrade?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured I'd upgrade the RAM memory in this desktop as well so I went over to crucial.com in order to check for the right amount of memory for my system. However, I couldn't find the option to select the exact PCV-RS411 model, the closest one I found was the PCV-RS410 model, is it safe to assume this memory is the appropriate memory for this computer? I have tried to look for this model, but as I said they don't have the PCV-RS411 in the list and the 2 closest ones to the PCV-RS411 model are the PCV-RS410 model and the PCV-RS400 Series model.

Edited by intocomputing2

I just noticed something, in the link pdf file JSKY provided with the full specs of the comp

http://www.manualshark.org/manualshark/files/4/pdf_3083.pdf

it says that the PCV-RS411 uses PC-2100 DDR memory while the one I found for the PCV-RS410 is DDR PC2700. Are these 2 kind of memory the equivalent for each other?

Edited by intocomputing2

in theory all ddr memory is backwards compatible. that means the faster memory will work with older computers that originally came with slower ddr memory. You can use ddr 2100, ddr 2700 or ddr 3200 memory.

You may want to take a look at newegg. They my have better prices

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

by the way, the maximum amount of memory for the desktop Sony Vaio is 1GB, so I have a question, does that mean that the only way to upgrade is to get 2 slots? (each of 512 MB for each slot inside the PC) or can I also upgrade by purchasing just one big slot of 1GB? I'm asking this because I wonder if the machine will be capable to detect/use the memory when the max amount is all packed in one slot, instead of being distributed in the 2 slots inside.

Edited by intocomputing2

One last card to check before setting up for the GeForce 6200, I just want to clear my doubts, is this any good to work with this system?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814131082

I was told that it's better in comparison with the GeForce 6200. However, I want to make sure I don't ran into unexpected issues, like a fuming system, a PSU that doesn't provide enough juice, or a mobo and RAM that can't handle it.

Edited by intocomputing2

That card should be a good choice. It is more optimized for HD video. With that said, it may also be much more powerful for gaming(I am just guessing). As to your psu having enough juice, it should be fine, but I a not sure.

I was just about to purchase that card in the last link I posted when I found these pictures

copy2toremodeluu9.th.jpg

copy1toremodelbb0.th.jpg

so I guess it's a PCI Express card after all, I wonder why newegg doesn't list it as such http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814131082

I'm just glad I found some pics of the card before actually making the purchase. What do you guys think? I guess it would be better to play it safe and buy shanenin's suggestion.

Edited by intocomputing2

I am not sure, but my gut says it is a pci card. The reviews people left and the picture that it shows are of a regular "pci" card. Where did you find the pictures your posted which labeled it a pci-express card?

I am not sure, but my gut says it is a pci card. The reviews people left and the picture that it shows are of a regular "pci" card. Where did you find the pictures your posted which labeled it a pci-express card?

The pictures match ATI's specs.

I don't think so.

The card is listed as a PCI card on the manufacturer's site, but I don't see any drivers or manuals. Oddly, they have drivers for AGP HD 2400s, but no such cards appear in their catalog.

Might be an omen.

Edited by jcl

A "PCI" and a "PCI Express" are different cards. They use different slots. And won't fit in the others slot.

Some card type could have the same chipset. One made for each type of board. (It's a money making gimmick)