Can You Trust Your Computer?

Here is an interesting tidbit.

Who's controlling your computer

Thanks for the link. Your article outlines many of the reasons why I run Linux. :D

The article is an also example of why I keep running away from Linux :)

I'm not really prepared to take advice about Trusted Computing from someone who thinks that security is immoral.

what's really bad is that no matter what computer you use, osx or linux or unix or winblows. all it takes is a little knowledge and POOF no security at all.

WHY you ask. who wrote all of them. not I! not I!

i almost want to say that it's just another M$ conspiracy to control all computers. think of it. several of the programers who wrote unix are X employees of M$ which now runs on macs. defectors from unix wrote linux and we already know how windows is. they were even trying to have the os check and keep track of your licensing for your software, which they decided no t to use yet.

Here is an interesting tidbit.

Who's controlling your computer

Thanks for the link. Your article outlines many of the reasons why I run Linux. :D

The article is an also example of why I keep running away from Linux :)

I'm not really prepared to take advice about Trusted Computing from someone who thinks that security is immoral.

Yeah, I know you're a big BSD guy, jcl.

BSD as far as I know is very secure, maybe even more so than Linux if I'm not mistaken. I think I read that apple's OS X was rated very highly for being a very secure OS.

Heh. Not so much these days, probably not until DragonFly matures. Actually I've been looking to get away from 'nix entirely but there aren't many alternatives.

BSD as far as I know is very secure, maybe even more so than Linux if I'm not mistaken.

FreeBSD and NetBSD are probably about as secure as Linux, OpenBSD is more secure than all three, and SELinux is almost certainly more secure than OpenBSD. It would be interesting to see how the more liberal (or more conservative -- whatever) Linux and BSD developers could take advantage of the Trusted Computing infrastructure. IIRC IBM is using Linux in their TC research.

(Hmm. I just noticed that RMS conflates TC and DRM, as do most of the anti-TC sites. The two are really distinct. At least in theory. TC with Linux would definitely be distinct from DRM.)

I think I read that apple's OS X was rated very highly for being a very secure OS.

Yeah, well, compared to MacOS 9 it probably is :)

Heh. Not so much these days, probably not until DragonFly matures. Actually I've been looking to get away from 'nix entirely but there aren't many alternatives.

BSD as far as I know is very secure, maybe even more so than Linux if I'm not mistaken.

FreeBSD and NetBSD are probably about as secure as Linux, OpenBSD is more secure than all three, and SELinux is almost certainly more secure than OpenBSD. It would be interesting to see how the more liberal (or more conservative -- whatever) Linux and BSD developers could take advantage of the Trusted Computing infrastructure. IIRC IBM is using Linux in their TC research.

(Hmm. I just noticed that RMS conflates TC and DRM, as do most of the anti-TC sites. The two are really distinct. At least in theory. TC with Linux would definitely be distinct from DRM.)

I think I read that apple's OS X was rated very highly for being a very secure OS.

Yeah, well, compared to MacOS 9 it probably is :)

Very interesting stuff, jcl :D

I was always under the assumption that all of the BSDs were much more secure than Linux. It's good to know that my favorite OS, Linux, doesn't fare too badly, security wise:-) Thanks, man! For the time being I'm going to stick with Linux, it still fascinates me, keeps me from being bored with computing.

Good to see you back on the boards again.

I was always under the assumption that all of the BSDs were much more secure than Linux.

Nah, that's just what the OpenBSD weenies want you to think. Just smile and nod until they go away.

Good to see you back on the boards again.

Hey, I've been here almost every day. I've just been quiet. There's no one to argue with here and that doesn't leave me with much to say ;)

Edited by jcl
Nah, that's just what the OpenBSD weenies want you to think.  Just smile and nod until they go away.

LOL :lol: You made my day!

Hey, I've been here almost every day.  I've just been quiet.  There's no one to argue with here and that doesn't leave me with much to say ;)

Yes, the best course of action is read first and perhaps reply. I'm not always able to keep my big yap shut at other forums though. But, I'm learning :D

later,

hitest