New Domain Name And Server!

You heard it here today folks - I have acquired a domain name, and by a stroke of luck, I was able to not only secure that, but a server to boot, as well as a host!! I was building a site for a friend, and asked a friend of mine if he wouldn't mind hosting the completed site. I told him that i wanted to run this site on a linux host, and he said that he had 3 servers that he got from a job - they were given to him - He asked me if I wanted one, so I said YES - this server is apparently about as powerful as the IBM Netfinity server I ran Windows 2003 SBS on last summer. This thing is as BIG as that server was, and the good thing is that she is on wheels, so I won't kill myself moving her. She is supposedly a RAID 5, so I should NOT have any problems, and my friend says that he will put in more ram so I will have over a gig of memory, and this machine has dual processors as well ;)

The good thing is that I have 2 dead machines with drives that are still good, so I can remove those and place them in my new backup pc, and install XP Pro SP2, and then have all my old clunky PC's junked, then I will connect up the backup machine to the network, and run windows XP Pro on both.

Question is: would you recommend Ubuntu or Debian Linux on the new server? I want to be able to easily install, configure, and administer the server from local and remote locations. I will be running apache and probably irc from the system, and will be storing my linux files on the server, and hosting a couple of sites. I may allow a couple friends to have accounts as well, but mosly this is my machine for web and linux admin practice :-) I have played with elive linux, which is a debian linux, but the colors are screwy, and I want to be able to have a secure machine, but an easily maintained one.......

Any ideas: I have used linux for a few years, but I've never done too much setup with the new linuxes ;-) May need some help :)

Thanks

Brian

Question is: would you recommend Ubuntu or Debian Linux on the new server?

Debian. Stable (Etch) if possible, Testing (Lenny) if not. You can start with stable and upgrade to testing if need be.

JCL:

Thanks for the information on etch and Lenny - I will probably ask my brother Michael to bring the server to me from the office so that I can install, configure and use the server, then have him come back and move the server when I have it set. He is also supposed to come and take Defiant, Emmanuel and a couple monitors from me, then his stepdad will strip all drives from the machines. Once this is completed, his stepdad will install XP Pro SP2 on another machine I have at the office, install all of the extra HDD's I had, and then bring me back my backup machine from the office. Once this is done, I'll JUNK Emmanuel and Defiant, and christen another new machine to replace those two.

I am newbie when it comes to config, but I hope to learn fast - may need some help on that :> Good thing is, I will have a dedicated line and an IP of my own - I almost hit the FLOOR when I heard the offer, and I JUMPED on the domain, which he helped me with ;-)

More Later - thanks a TON!!!

Brian

Hello All:

Looks my My server is as follows:

Dual P3 800 Mhtz

1 Gig Memory

4/5 SCSI Drives

RAID 5

X86 architecture: Gateway

Will get more info when I go into the office this week :)

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like my drives are 20 Gig scsi drives for the server. I will have 5 of them running RAID :)

Brian