I KNOW this is a common problem as I remember reading this question a bunch of times, but I can't remember the fix! And trying to Google this, hah!! :wacko:

Son is tinkering with his girlfriends Frankenputer--

He starts it, it comes up with the screen, (ad libbed...)

"You didn't shut down the computer properly, choose one of these

safe mode

last good configuration

normal winders

another choice that I can't remember"

He chooses, it restarts and goes back to that message

He checked all the connections and checked for dustbunnies, I told him to make sure the Ram is seated properly.

What's the fix??

Thanks in advance,

Liz

When I see this in my shop, it usually means a corrupted sector on the harddrive. Usually if I run spinrite(program which fixes corruption) on the drive it will fix it. Another option is to reinstall the OS. Their may be other less drastic fixes I am unaware of. I am assuming he chose safe mode as an option without any luck.

Oh, he chose all the options :thumbsup: (one at a time, of course!)

Yuck, but THANKS!. Well, I'll call him and let him know. This idiotbox is more possessed than my Gateway, so not surprised--she's replaced it with a laptop---he is over there critter-sitting and playing with it (bad TV on Fridays...even with moviechannels!)

What is spinrite? Does it live in a floppy or CD?

Liz

Edited by blim

Spinrite is a paid program. It runs from a bootable disc. It costs $90, it is not cheap. I am amazed at how great it works. I have recovered tons of data for clients. In my mind it works miracles.

A cheaper solution would be to just to reload windows.

I tend to just reload windows without trying other solutions. For me it is the quick and easy way. Their may be other solutions, I am curious to hear what others say.

Ah-ha! and thanks-- I imagine that spinrite would be cheaper than buying an OS if one doesn't have the necessary disks, so not *too* cheap :). Called Aron and he said reloading windows is the way to go as it's been reformatted plenty o' times (his girlfriend catches viruses quicker than anyone I know!).

Liz

Ah-ha! and thanks-- I imagine that spinrite would be cheaper than buying an OS if one doesn't have the necessary disks, so not *too* cheap :). Called Aron and he said reloading windows is the way to go as it's been reformatted plenty o' times (his girlfriend catches viruses quicker than anyone I know!).

Liz

Hmm, my OL used to say that about one of my ex girlfriends too; but that was almost twenty five years ago., long before computers.