Choosing Between Free Utilities?

I don't use an outgoing firewall. If I use an anti-virus, I choose AVG because you don't have to register to install it.

I've heard AVG does a pretty good job detecting threats, shows you the message virus detected, but sometimes it doesn't give you an option to remove it, is that true?

I've used the free vertion of AVG for years. Works great. I've never seen a problem removing anything.

ZoneAlarm sucks in my opionon. I used it for a few years in it's earlier versions. But now it's a bloated cow. Total system hog.

Use a Nat router instead, and Windows built in firewall. (assuming you're a Windows user)

Edited by irregularjoe

I have used Comodo Firewall for sometime now it is system friendly (not using to much of my resouces) and you can never go wrong with Avast!

I use Comodo's firewall, it's small yet powerful.

I used to run Zone Alarm. But to me it's a bloated program, And will slow your system down by using up resources. I used to believe in ZA until I started beta testing Vista and ZA wasn't compatible. After trying quite a few other firewalls. I came to see just how bloated ZA was. Now I run Comodo with Vista, and PC Tools Firewall with my XP build. (Personally I like PC Tools Firewall better.... But it's not compatible with the 64bit version of Vista, which is the one I run).

And I would say Avast for your AntiVirus. But there are a lot of free firewalls and antivirus programs out there that work just as good.

I use Comodo's firewall, it's small yet powerful.

I used to run Zone Alarm. But to me it's a bloated program, And will slow your system down by using up resources. I used to believe in ZA until I started beta testing Vista and ZA wasn't compatible. After trying quite a few other firewalls. I came to see just how bloated ZA was. Now I run Comodo with Vista, and PC Tools Firewall with my XP build. (Personally I like PC Tools Firewall better.... But it's not compatible with the 64bit version of Vista, which is the one I run).

And I would say Avast for your AntiVirus. But there are a lot of free firewalls and antivirus programs out there that work just as good.

I didn't know about PC Tools Firewall Plus 3.0, would you say is better than Comodo firewall to run in XP?

Edited by intocomputing2

Myself. I would say yes. I like the ease of PC Tools better then Comodo. Less overall setup.

Comodo comes with "Defense + Security" Features. But I just fight it trying to get it the way I would like. So I always turn that feature off and just run the firewall. If they ever make PC Tools Firewall for Vista 64. I would switch in a minute.

But that's my two-cents on the two. Others may say differently.

You can always try each one out. (one at a time of course). Run one for a couple of weeks, then try the other. Then decide which one you prefer.