Completely Uninstall Songbird

I'm trying to uninstall Songbird from Ubuntu 7.10. I went through search and deleted all files/folders with 'songbird' in the name, but that doesn't appear to have done it all. When I right-click on a media file, "Open with Songbird" still shows up.

What is a better way to go about completely uninstalling applications?

How can I remove that from the menu?

Ok, I fixed my right-click issue with the following:
matt@ubuntu:~/.local/share/applications$ rm songbird.desktop

But I'd still like a rundown on a better way to uninstall programs I don't get from the repositories.

This should work

sudo apt-get remove package

Ok, I fixed my right-click issue with the following:
matt@ubuntu:~/.local/share/applications$ rm songbird.desktop

But I'd still like a rundown on a better way to uninstall programs I don't get from the repositories.

This should work

sudo apt-get remove package

I tried that before I did anything else, but it didn't work. I think that's because I got songbird from a .deb on their site, not through apt-get.

I tried that before I did anything else, but it didn't work. I think that's because I got songbird from a .deb on their site, not through apt-get.

If it is a .deb file it should be listed in Synaptic. Fire-up Synaptic and type in Songbird into the search window. Synaptic should be able to find the package then you can select it for removal. I just tried to use Synaptic to locate an e-mail client that I use called First Class which is not an app from the repos, but, is a .deb file. Synaptic found it.

# dpkg -r $PACKAGE

removes $PACKAGE. Replace -r with -P to remove config files as well.

If you don't know the exact name of the package,

$ dpkg-query -l $PATTERN

prints a list of packages whose names match $PATTERN and

$ dpkg-query -S $FILE

prints the package that owns $FILE.

If you use bash, installing the bash-completion package should give you tab completion on the package utilities. If you had a package named "songbird" installed, "dpkg -r song<TAB>" should expand to "dpkg -r songbird" (or give you a list of packages matching "song*" if there's more than one).

Edited by jcl