Odd Internet Connection Issue

OK, recently I started having problems out of my Internet connection. I have a local cable ISP. Recently I started having trouble with my torrents. There were 4 I couldn't get to show any seeds or leechers (I tried others from the same group and none of them worked either) and the ones I could get connections, would be unusually slow. I messaged a friend in another town in Tennessee and asked him to try one of the torrents that wouldn't work for me. It worked for him. So I tried one of the torrents at school (I'm a little surprised I was able to get uTorrent to work at school) though it couldn't download anything (some kinda network restrictions), at least it was able to detect 79 seeds and 24 leechers for this file.

So I try at home again, nothing. I move the modem and try another cable line upstairs hardwired with the laptop (no router), nothing. I tried a newer, supposedly different grade cable line downstairs that was installed about 2 years ago specifically for internet that oddly enough didn't work correctly back then. It worked. PERFECTLY. I was getting over 500 seeds listed and then was able to get connected to 93 of them and my download speeds were going at 350Kbps like they were supposed to. The torrents that did work on the upstairs line would only max out at like 60Kbps. I also noted that internet surfing wasn't impacted as much as upstairs while torrents were going.

One strange thing though was of the 4 I couldn't get to work upstairs, only 3 worked downstairs. I still couldn't get one to work.

What I was trying to get

Conclave-Mendoi version of Mobile Suit Gundam 00 episodes 14-17 H264 .mkv 1280x720 (720p HD) fansubs

15-17 worked without a hitch downstairs but 14 refused to list any seeds or leechers. I even tried the 704x400 version of it and that one didn't seem to work either.

Any idea why all this is happening? Why did some torrents suddenly stop working on the upstairs line and others slow down while most work on my downstairs line? Thanks for any help.

oh and as reference here's a link to the tracker. It's listed under Mobile Suit Gundam 00. There are 3 versions listed for ep 14 and I tried both the .mkv ones.

Menclave (Conclave-Mendoi) Tracker Site

well I tested the ep 14 at school and again cause of the stuff they have in place, uTorrent couldn't download but it could at least see the seeders and leechers. No connection at my house could detect any seeders or leechers for 14.

God I hate my ISP and these old crappy cables in my house. I wish my parents switch back to Charter and get them to redo the cable in the house.

Yep, something is most assuredly jacked up in the cable in my room. My torrents and internet are both now affected. SpeedTest.net still shows 3Mbps speeds but my torrent download speeds have dropped off considerably and they are very inconsistent. Here and there I'll get a high speed burst then it drops back off. Also my internet surfing is noticeably slower. I think I may go outside tomorrow and check the box on the side of my house and see if everything is hooked up correctly. I tried calling my ISP today but no one would answer the phone. I hate having a local ISP. I'll try calling again tomorrow and if they don't answer, I may drive up there talk to them (and chew them out for not answering their phones)

Edited by Honda_Boy

It sounds like your ISP has begun filtering torrents to protect themselves from possible liability for allowing sharing of stolen material.

Unfortunately this often causes problems with legitimate file sharing as well.

Have you contacted them to see if they are indeed doing this and if they can allow the legitimate torrents you want through?

Nah, they ain't filtering. Even my gaming pings were shooting up and such. I downloaded some torrents last night and they actually worked right. I think I'll take one more whack at that one that wouldn't work. My pings have been going back down now so it may just resolved itself, I don't know but I still found it weird that the other line worked so well (sort of) while my usual line was just so crappy. It seem to be fine now, but I'm gonna keep my eye on it.