My neighbor asked about her monitor going fuzzy. She said it happened when the kids went to play a game.

#1- the black and white start up screen is unreadable, fuzzy.

#2- the Windows XP start up screen is fine.

#3- It then goes back to all fuzzy...

It's the same way on two different LCD monitors, but when I brought it home and hooked up a CRT, all is fine and dandy.

Any ideas out there?

I assume you mean the manufacturer of the LCD's?

We did check that within Windows.

Remember, the BIOS start up screen is fuzzy and unreadable, the Windows start up is fine and after that all is a mess. This all stared with a game, she said. All was fine before.

Edited by bozodog

Possibly the resolution is incorrect. LCD's have a Native Resolution they are meant to run on (which is also their max res). In my case, my LCD's native res is 1280x1024. When the res is set to that, it's clear and perfect looking but if I set it any lower than that, it'll look fuzzy and messed up. Since the pre windows stuff is displayed at a lower res, it's going to be fuzzy. Quite often when installing games, the game defaults to a certain res depending on your system's performance. It doesn't know you have an LCD. Usually mine default to 1024x768 (newer games, many older games default to the correct res cause my system's power is plenty good for them) so I have to change them to 1280x1024 to get a clear screen, unfortunately it takes more power to run at a higher res like that so frame rates tend to suffer cause of my monitor on newer games (my new rig and it's GeForce 8800GT will fix that though :thumbsup: ).

BTW, we are having a heck of a time getting drivers for the asus motherboard. Went to their site and no success. Went to a 2nd party site and found a few, but they aren't quite right. No luck at all getting drivers for net connection that really work. We have been using a D-Link for access right now.

Whats up with manufacturers that don't support their products? Too many folks misplace the CD's and it seems NO ONE passes them on when selling a used machine.

What driver exactly are you looking for? The chipset on the mobo? If so, it's better to look up the chipset manufacturer's drivers, like I have EVGA NF47 nVidia nForce4 SLix16 motherboard but I don't get my drivers from EVGA. I get them from nVidia.

And again, make sure your resolution in windows is set to the monitors native resolution.

Been through all that, the monitor is dead. Works fine on our CRT

But the computer is the devil incarnate. (visions of Blims possessed Gateway)

We can't find LAN or RAID drivers. Every time we download one and it's wrong, other drivers go goofy. The "found new hardware" window keeps coming up and off it goes searching for the RAID drivers. Just can't figure why we can't get the right ones from Asus.

I see you say you tried with a CRT and all was well. So , Have you tried the monitor on a different computer?

See if it works there.

Does the LCD monitor have a reset button ? Another technique is to turn it on and leave it on with an all white screen displayed. This will force all the crystals to the open position.

Another recommended solution would be to unplug the LCD and leave it off and unplugged for twice as long as the time it took to get corrupt at room temperature and positioned at a full vertical (not tilted back ) . This lets them all relax to proper rest state.

Of course it could be the display is bad and if under warranty needs replacing.

Pete, the LCD would not work on our computers. We replaced the cable. It's borked. The rest of your tricks have been covered too. Nice of you to drop in.

Our problem now is the dang LAN and RAID drivers. Honda Boy and Shanenin, We will give that a try.

THANX, all. We are just trying to help a neighbor that has been great to us for decades.

Did you ever try increasing the resolution in Windows. I bet it's supposed to be set at like 1280x1024 but is on 1024x768. A lot of our monitors at school were like that and I changed whatever computer I was on to 1280x1024 and voila, clear screen.

and yeah, I bet the drivers shanenin should solve your problem.

Well, we finally found the drivers on ASUS site for the LAN and RAID. Went through h3ll getting the RADEON card drivers. Got them.

The monitor is bust. The "green" adjustment will not highlight, thereby no adjustment. So we have a back up cable in stock. Our neighbors have a workable computer, with flashing lights and all. YUK! It will all be worth it come summer, as Ron says he will take us fishing. Besides, he knows lots of people, being in the used car business. Potential customers...

Thank you all, for the help.

Oh! Found a great paid program for drivers Membership allows you to do any computer, any time.

Edited by bozodog